Skip to main content

Letting Go...

Letting go-such a simple phrase to say, but so hard to do.
Whether it's emotions that you need to let go or material possessions that you need to let go, it's very difficult.
I am always mentally telling myself to 'let it go' when I'm upset or stressed out. I tell myself to just breathe and be done with it. Easier said than done. But I'm getting better.
What I'm really not good at is letting go of material possessions. We are in the midst of moving AGAIN. This is move #7 in the last 29 years. But this is the first move that we actually chose to do. All the others were corporate moves that we did for my husband's career. This one is just for us.
Hubby is heading towards retirement in a few years and we decided that it was time to leave the bitterly cold, long winters of the midwest.
SO...with the move coming up in about 2 months I find myself evaluating all our earthly goods.
And a MOUNTAIN of art supplies, fabrics, beads, etc, etc, etc.
What to keep, what to toss, what to give away and what to sell?
It's hard to part with clothes that you like but haven't worn in SEVEN years. You know the old thinking- "but it might come back in style OR I might just lose that last 10 lb. I've gained"   Such is my dilemma.
At least we have had almost a year to plan for this move. So I have had time to cull through closets and shelves several times. It's funny; you go through them and pull out a handful of items you know you don't need or want. Then 2 months later you go back and revisit the same closet with the same clothes and you can see them in a whole different light.
So this past week I have gone through closets and drawers with a new determination to scale down the amount of clothes & STUFF that is moving with us.
My art studio is the hardest! But again, after going through it last summer and weeding out items I don't need or use then going back through again last week I tossed massive quantities of junk!
I have become a regular visitor to the local Goodwill store to unload clothes and household items.
I have dropped off loads at the recycle center. I have thrown bags of garbage away. And I have given away lots of fabrics and yarns to my local needle arts guild. And yet there is still a lot of STUFF in my studio.  One more cleaning and purging should do the trick. But it's hard when you are an artist that works in more the one medium.
This move and this major clean-up has caused me to take a long hard look at what I create, what my passion is and what supplies I actually NEED to hang onto. Do I actually need 500 spools of ribbon anymore? I don't think so. Do I need 2 drawers full of papers for collaging? NOPE.
So I am scaling back on supplies and downsizing my fabric stash (just a bit).
I am learning to LET GO of things I don't need and things I am not in love with.
I just need to keep telling myself that constantly and continue to plow through all the things that have accumulated over the years.
In fact this afternoon was to be spent going through 7 years worth of Quilting Arts magazines. I really hate to part with them but do I really need them all? Last Friday I sifted through almost 10 years worth of Somerset Studio magazines. I decided to only keep the ones that I had been published in (plus a few more special ones).
What am I doing instead of cleaning and sorting today? Playing in Photoshop and now, writing on my blog.
Oh well...The magazines can wait another day.
For now here are the results of playing in Photoshop today.
Hope...

Surrounded by Fire
Looking UP


All the original photos I used were taken with my cell phone. Some of them were played with on my phone with the PicEffectFree app before I uploaded to Photoshop and reworked them.
'Hope' was an original drawing of a feather with birds flying out. I was designing my newest tattoo when I sketched that and I really liked the drawing. I really played with color and saturation as well as adding some layers and filters. And of course I added the text.
'Surrounded by Fire' was a photo I took while sitting on the deck, looking up through the branches of the trees. Layered it with some filters and textures and bumped up the saturation and color.
"Looking UP' was also taken from my deck looking up at the beautiful river birches. I will miss those trees when we move. The photo was layered with filters and textures but I didn't alter the color
except with the filters. It was a beautiful summer day when I took the photo. The trees were a vivid green and the sky was a gorgeous blue in the background.
Okay, time to go sort through more STUFF.
More updates to the move and letting go of stuff to follow......
 
Until then, live your life creatively (and learn to let go of stuff you don't need)
Cathy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

Art Elements' Component of the Month for February

Jenny hosted this month's Component of the Month over at Art Elements. She created lovely polymer clay hearts that she sculpted with cracks/breaks and then used wire to 'suture' the broken heart back together. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  The green one really spoke to me so I requested a green heart cabochon (below).

 I decided to pair the beautiful green heart with one of Jenny's dryad pendants (below). They are created with ceramic clay and then she adds leaves/berries with polymer clay. I took the liberty of clipping off the wire for hanging (sorry Jenny) so I could use it as a cabochon.
 I already knew that I would create some sort of mixed media background to attach them to once I beaded around them. And of course I fortgot to photograph the cabochons by themselves once they were beaded.
So here they are fully beaded and already attached to my background.
I just love the heart on the tree...Reminiscent of hearts carved into tree trunks with lov…