Skip to main content

Creative Organization

Whenever I go into my studio it's like Christmas morning when I was a kid. I don't know what to play with first!  I always have a bad case of ADD when I walk in without a plan. SO, I definitely have to have some sort of schedule before walking in there.
My friend Cindy & I embarked on a goal setting plan at the beginning of 2013 and for the most part it has been working well. At the beginning of every month I write down my artistic goals for the month.
Then on Sundays I write up a plan for the week. Each day Cindy & I email each other our goals for the day. Sounds a bit regimented and doesn't sound as though it would allow for a lot of spontaneity. Emailing each other keeps me motivated to reach my daily goals.  I try to stay accountable.
You'd be surprised at how prolific I have been for the past year and a half. Even though I haven't posted on my blog regularly I have been busy.
Writing down the daily goals gets me in my studio and with a plan in place it keeps me on track (for the most part)!
Then there are those days where I'm in my studio and working on a project and my mind starts to wonder. Then my eyes start to roam about the room that desperately needs cleaning. Sewing table is a mess. Ironing board is piled high with works in progress and the beading/jewelry table looks like a disaster. Knitting needles are on the sewing table, in a tote bag and also spilling out of a vase like spikey flowers. So what do I do then?
Decide to tackle a project that has been on my mind for a while but I had not put it down as a goal. I just HAVE TO to create a knitting needle case for all my needles I have been collecting.
They were scattered about with no place to call home.
I decide to 'wing it'. No pattern, no particular design in mind other than I wanted to use some vinyl screening that I already had. I thought that would give it some structure. So I grabbed a couple remnants of ulpholstsery fabric and my vinyl. Gathered all my needles to see how many wide I needed to make it. Then I started cutting and sewing. 
Not perfect. I didn't even use my straight edge or a ruler! 
Just stitched the fabric onto the screening, leaving the screening long enough at the top to fold down over the needle pockets to keep them in place. And I have velcro to hold the top part in place.  I also stitched pockets for all the different size needles.
And Voila!


Knitting needle case with top flap folded down

Needle case with top flap opened up to reveal the pockets

All rolled up 
The only problem is. I haven't tagged each pocket with the needle size. Which isn't too big a deal since the straight needles have the size at the top. The only problem is my circular needles. I left them in their original case for now and put them in the pockets but it's creating too much bulk. I do have a needle gauger that I can use to determine which size they are if I decide to throw their original cases out. But then there is the length issue. Although it's pretty easy to determine the length of the circular ones.
I only have one set of DPN (double pointed needles) so far-so no problem determing their size.

I didn't actually accomplish all the goals on my list that day but I do have my knitting needles all organized in a pretty little case.

Now, I am off to work on today's goals!

I vow to update this blog on a regular basis. I guess if I put it in my goals then it will get done!

Live your life creatively~

cathy


Comments

HEY MIKE !!!!!! said…
I enjoy seeing and reading about your art. Mike J.

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

Art Elements' Component of the Month for February

Jenny hosted this month's Component of the Month over at Art Elements. She created lovely polymer clay hearts that she sculpted with cracks/breaks and then used wire to 'suture' the broken heart back together. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  The green one really spoke to me so I requested a green heart cabochon (below).

 I decided to pair the beautiful green heart with one of Jenny's dryad pendants (below). They are created with ceramic clay and then she adds leaves/berries with polymer clay. I took the liberty of clipping off the wire for hanging (sorry Jenny) so I could use it as a cabochon.
 I already knew that I would create some sort of mixed media background to attach them to once I beaded around them. And of course I fortgot to photograph the cabochons by themselves once they were beaded.
So here they are fully beaded and already attached to my background.
I just love the heart on the tree...Reminiscent of hearts carved into tree trunks with lov…