Skip to main content

The bAck to sChooL eDition of Texture Tuesday

Back to school...
What image comes to mind when we think 'back to school'?
So many from childhood.
Excitement about which friends would end up in class with you. Who would you have lunch with. Football games on Friday nights. Chillier, crisper air. Days getting shorter and nights spent doing homework rather than playing outside!

So many memories of the end of summer and the start of a new school year.

Now, since I don't have a young child at home, the beginning of school brings about different images & feelings. I still think football season and obviously shorter days and chillier weather coming on. But the whole idea of 'back to school' puts me in a more regimented frame of mind even though I don't have a child at home to get ready for school. For me, it means I need to get back into a routine of getting into my studio and getting some work done. I've played around enough this summer, not really having any sort of routine. Just doing what I want when I felt like it. Now......it's back to work/school whatever you want to call it. Back to a more regular schedule of creating.
The above photo is of my dog Rocky when he was just a baby. He was and still can be a total mess maker. If there was ever a dog that would eat your  homework-Rocky certainly would! In this photo, I caught him in action devouring a stack of newspaper. He was lying amongst the pile, happily tearing the papers up. Note the sweet little innocent expression he has. Oops, you caught me!
He is 5 years old now and still capable of tearing things up although not quite as often. He's my buddy and my constant companion but he's ALL terrier (meaning a bit crazy)!
Off to create a schedule for getting back to work. Until next time.....
Live your life creatively & always keep your camera with you~
cathy
p.s. almost forgot to tell you the textures I used on the TT edition. I used Kim Klassen's 'granny's cupboard' at multiply @ 52% opacity, then layered Kim's 'just stitched' texture at screen x 3 all @ 100% opacity. Then for the final layers I used Kim's 'pourvous' texture on overlay @ 100%. For the just stitched and pourvous layers I also used a layer mask over Rocky and the newspapers and kept the background covered in the textures.
kimklassencafe
     
                                        Also linking up with i heart faces

Comments

Sylvia said…
What a lovely photo, beautiful textures !
Rocky is so cute !
Nice day,
Sylvia
Barb said…
What a cute puppy and photo!
Neringa said…
love this 'it wasn't me' expression :) great capture and processing
Joyfull said…
This is absolutely perfect for Texture Tuesday theme!! Love the picture and the great texture edit.
J Odice said…
he looks so guilty, this is great :-)
johanna said…
haha, thanks for the smile on my face:)
well done!
Deanna said…
Love the pic of Rocky so cute. You should enter this in the I Heart Faces post this week, the theme is pets.
Thanks so much everyone! He still has that same expression at times.
Peabea said…
Oh how precious and great idea for your Back To School.
Matteo Taffuri said…
Ottimo lavoro!Wonderful
have a nice day
ciao
Matteo
Hilarious photo! Thanks for joining An Artful Endeavor, it is lovely to meet you :)
June Scott said…
I love it, Cathy! Rocky is the sweetest!
Pat said…
Truly funny - I laughed out loud!
Thanks so much everyone!!
Gaby Bee said…
He would eat your homework...I'm sure that's the last thing he would do. He looks as innocent as a lamb. He is such a cutie pie!

Hugs,
Gaby
Rural Revival said…
Very cute! Wonderful texture work.
: )
Evelyn S. said…
This is a totally delightful image...with great texture application!
Terri Kahrs said…
How ADORAble!!! Oh, Cathy, anyone who's owned a dog or trained a puppy can relate to this awesome capture of your Rocky. Miss Tootsie ate one the heel of a brand new pair of leather shoe boots that I'd never worn; and, she LOVED (still does) tearing paper up.
Thanks so much for your blog visit. It's always so good to hear from old friends. Good luck in my drawing too. ♥ Hugs, Terri xoxo
Sandy said…
Awwwww, this is cute, cute, cute! Look at that face!

Love the photo of your daughter when she was little, gosh her hair is adorable and she looks like someone in a fairy tale!
MaryN said…
Love this image and post!!

Thank you, too, for joining my art blog hop!
I am your newest blog follower! :)

Wishing you all the best,
Mary C. Nasser
http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html
This little dog is so cute. Perfect capture.
Thanks! He's much bigger now, but still a cutie!

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

Art Elements' Component of the Month for February

Jenny hosted this month's Component of the Month over at Art Elements. She created lovely polymer clay hearts that she sculpted with cracks/breaks and then used wire to 'suture' the broken heart back together. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  The green one really spoke to me so I requested a green heart cabochon (below).

 I decided to pair the beautiful green heart with one of Jenny's dryad pendants (below). They are created with ceramic clay and then she adds leaves/berries with polymer clay. I took the liberty of clipping off the wire for hanging (sorry Jenny) so I could use it as a cabochon.
 I already knew that I would create some sort of mixed media background to attach them to once I beaded around them. And of course I fortgot to photograph the cabochons by themselves once they were beaded.
So here they are fully beaded and already attached to my background.
I just love the heart on the tree...Reminiscent of hearts carved into tree trunks with lov…