Skip to main content

Texture Tuesday

I was a bit of a slacker last week and didn't participate in TT. My daughter came home from Africa last Monday and we spent hours looking at all the photos & videos she took. The photos are AMAZING!
Very close shots of some of the animals.
My first 2 photos for TT are actually photos my daughter took in Africa. She took them because she knows how much I love pink flamingos! So I can't take credit for the photos just the alteration of them.

By the way, this week's TT theme is 'PINK'. Perfect for my pretty pink birds don't ya think?
This one is layered with Kim Klassen's
'canvasback' texture, with hue & saturation altered.




This next photo is also layered with Kim's 'canvasback' texture. More pink birds!!
And again, I played with hue & saturation since these birds were more of a salmon color.
I used a layer mask to mask the 2 brightest birds in the center.















Maybe for next week's TT my daughter will allow me to use more of her fabulous photos. She got some awesome shots of leopards, lions, zebras, giraffes, elephants, ostriches, etc.  And phenomenal sunsets!!!

Next shots were taken by me in my kitchen. Little pink shrub roses with my collection of cobalt blue vases again.
I believe this variety of roses is called
"Fairy". They bloom profusely but unfortunately do not have any scent at all. But oh so pretty!

This photo was layered with Kim's 'canvasback' & 'aurora' textures.

















Here's a close-up of the roses. I used the same layers as the above photo with masks.




















And last but not least; here's a shot of a beautiful water lily I took yesterday at the Chicago Botanic Gardens. All the water lilies were in bloom--just gorgeous. I really love the dark mottled colors in the leaves.

Since the water background looked almost black I decided to go with a much darker coloring. Also, I thought it really made the leaves more interesting. I used Kim's 'canvasback magic' texture for this one.
Three layers of it, all at different blending modes and opacities. And I used a mask to keep my lilies nice & pink!
So there you have it-my pink themed, textured photos. I have been hoping to get some artwork photographed for my blog and also I have been rusting some fabrics that I hope to show later in the week. Some surprising results to show!
Until then.....live your life creatively~
cathy
kimklassencafe

Comments

Susan said…
Oh my this were all awesome.

Great job!

Hope your day is blessed!
Kathy said…
Awesome photos from your daughter and yourself. I love Flamingos too. Africa...Wow! That's really cool too. I love the shot of your waterlily. Thanks for sharing.

Bright blessings,
Kathy
Linda Makiej said…
Love the pink!!! Just great.... :)
Thank you all! And thanks to my daughter for taking the flamlingo pics : ))
Amy said…
The pink flamingos are perfect for this week's theme. ;) But my favorite photo is the second to late one. So whimsical!
Dyche Designs said…
Such pretty images, I have to admit the last one is my favorite. :0)
Marilyn said…
The flamingos are such elegant creatures. Beautiful. I like your use of textures on these. The roses are luscious too.
missing moments said…
All so lovely ... saw your work at Kim's today ... think I'll hang around. New follower!
Henrietta said…
Love the flamingos, they are most beautiful creatures what I have ever seen. I remember when I saw them at zoo my mouth left open and I was so amazed what nature creates.
Ruth said…
those fairy roses are awesome! Really beautiful work :) they're the same variety in my photo 'in life we trust' that you kindly commented on earlier! Love your blog :)
missing moments said…
all are beautiful
but my favorite are the roses
debsea said…
it's hard to beat a pink flamingo...but i think you did with that stunning water lily photo! so mysterious! beautiful.
Evelyn said…
A beautiful selection of photos ~ the roses are my favourite!
Thanks so much everyone!
Mikko Tyllinen said…
Very beautiful! Fantastic atmosphere!

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

Art Elements' Component of the Month for February

Jenny hosted this month's Component of the Month over at Art Elements. She created lovely polymer clay hearts that she sculpted with cracks/breaks and then used wire to 'suture' the broken heart back together. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  The green one really spoke to me so I requested a green heart cabochon (below).

 I decided to pair the beautiful green heart with one of Jenny's dryad pendants (below). They are created with ceramic clay and then she adds leaves/berries with polymer clay. I took the liberty of clipping off the wire for hanging (sorry Jenny) so I could use it as a cabochon.
 I already knew that I would create some sort of mixed media background to attach them to once I beaded around them. And of course I fortgot to photograph the cabochons by themselves once they were beaded.
So here they are fully beaded and already attached to my background.
I just love the heart on the tree...Reminiscent of hearts carved into tree trunks with lov…