Skip to main content

Texture Tuesday {Dream edition}

             


Today's Texture Tuesday prompt was 'DREAM'.  The very first photo I thought of was one of my sunsets in Grand Cayman. If there is ever a cause to dream, that's the place to dream about.  layered the original photo with Kim's 'golden hour'  & 'dream' textures. Then I added my own text--Dream.
My next thoughts on dreaming were of my daughter's African photos. I would love to go someday.
An African adventure is on my 'bucket list'. My daughter was kind enough to allow me to use her photos for the TT challenge this week.  Here's the first one I altered. A gorgeous sunset.










I used Kim's 'golden hour' texture again and added the text. It was almost too gorgeous a photo to alter. I tried to just enhance it a bit. Make it a bit painterly.
The next 2 sunset shots have NOT been altered in any way. My daughter took some amazing pictures.
I love how the sun looks as though it is sitting on top of the little tree.

















Just love the silhouettes that the trees make.





























The leopard above was within 4 or 5 ft of my daughter who was sitting in a jeep. Great capture. I duplicated the photo, changed it to b & w, then masked out the leopard in the b & w layer to recover his beautiful spots! Otherwise he sort of blended in with the golden yellow of the grasses. Such great camouflage.
She took so many photos while she was in Africa. But I have to say that the big cats are my fave.














This little guy above had just finished eating and then walked over to within 3 ft of their jeep and flopped down for a rest. Isn't he gorgeous? I layered it with Kim's 'stained linen' and 'golden hour' textures.
Even though the big cats are my fave, I just had to show you this baby elephant.







He is too cute! I thought at first he was trumpeting his horn, but she said he was sticking his snout up in the air to smell them.  I layered this photo with Kim's 'stained linen' and reduced the saturation a bit.
Maybe next time I will show a few more photos of her trip to Africa. There is a great shot of a zebra as well as a giraffe and the biggest cat of all the male lion.
Until then....live your life creatively & always carry your camera~
cathy



Also linking up with Lisa Gordon's "The Creative Exchange" & Life n Reflection's Texture Twist



kimklassencafe










        

Comments

Ms. S said…
really lovely.... i'll now be dreaming of africa... and the big cats
Geri Centonze said…
The dreams and photos are all beautiful! I lived in Grand Cayman from 1975 until 1997...it was so beautiful then. Still pretty now, but not as sleepy as it used to be =(
Dyche Designs said…
Loving your 'dream' images, beautiful use of texture. Those cat photos are amazing too.
Love the color and texture in your photos!
Call me chicken but 3-5 foot from those wild animals scares me a bit - but the photos are awesome!!
Thanks! I agree with the closeness of the animals but she had an armed tour guide on the jeep with her. And the photos were awesome!
Sylvia said…
Gorgeous photos, Cathy, so nice of your daughter to share them !
Those sunsets are so wonderful and dreamy !
Nice week,
Sylvia
Ruth said…
Hi Cathy, you're photo's are all amazing! p.s please give Rocky a scudge (big fuss) for me ;) thank you so much for visiting x
anettesbokboble said…
Thank you so much for your wonderful words on my blog today! Things are slowly going back to normal, but it will take a long time to heal the wounds. It was so nice to look at your photos dreaming myself all the way to Africa! Hugs from Anette in Norway :)
hootnonny said…
Your Dream image is just gorgeous! And I see that the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Your daughter is a wonderful photographer as well!
missing moments said…
These are all beautiful photos. We have been to South Africa on a safari. Your photos are just as I remember! The sunsets there are spectacular as well as sunrises. It truly is a beautiful country!
Thanks so much for all the lovely comments everyone!
Pat Mark said…
Beautiful sunset shot. The African photo by your daughter are fantastic. I would love to see Africa too.
Kristy said…
Wow you and daughter are quite talented! Great masking on the leopard!
lisa said…
Cathy, these are gorgeous. The work you have done on them is just fantastic. Africa is definitely on my "bucket list" also!

Thank you so much for sharing these today at The Creative Exchange.

Have a great evening!

lisa.
Thanks so much Lisa! Your work is inspiring.
debsea said…
beautiful beautiful photos cathy! i've been out of town so have missed the last 2 texture tuesdays. you commented on my "new boots" post, my new boots are Bogs, and i found them on amazon.com. after living in them for the last week - i highly recommend them. so so comfy & warm!! and come in some fabulous colours/designs. also - loved your rust dying post - i do a lot of that, can't get enough rust. have you tried putting salt in the water, or vinegar? both give a little different results - i've even gotten some green patina colours at times.
Thanks Deb! I will check the boots out for sure.
As for the rust, yes I've used both salt & vinegar together and separately but opted to leave it out this time to see what I got. But thanks & please post some of your results.
Rural Revival said…
Gorgeous photos and the sunset in the first one is breathtaking!

~Andrea
Oh my goodness, these are absolutely wonderful... the sunsets are to die for! =)
Thanks Andrea & Tricia!
Lynne said…
Beautiful treatment of your Cayman sunset! I've visited there 2 or 3 times and although, it has changed some, ie. the coral reefs seem to be in bad shape,it's still a cool place.Also, love the animal photos your daughter took.

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

Art Elements' Component of the Month for February

Jenny hosted this month's Component of the Month over at Art Elements. She created lovely polymer clay hearts that she sculpted with cracks/breaks and then used wire to 'suture' the broken heart back together. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  The green one really spoke to me so I requested a green heart cabochon (below).

 I decided to pair the beautiful green heart with one of Jenny's dryad pendants (below). They are created with ceramic clay and then she adds leaves/berries with polymer clay. I took the liberty of clipping off the wire for hanging (sorry Jenny) so I could use it as a cabochon.
 I already knew that I would create some sort of mixed media background to attach them to once I beaded around them. And of course I fortgot to photograph the cabochons by themselves once they were beaded.
So here they are fully beaded and already attached to my background.
I just love the heart on the tree...Reminiscent of hearts carved into tree trunks with lov…