Skip to main content

Time for Texture Tuesday

Settling back in after vacation is not much fun. Especially when your dog is sick, your refrigerator decides to begin a slow death, your oven freaks out and your lawn sprinkler system quits working during 90 degree temperatures.  My saving grace is yoga & playing with my camera and photoshop.
I was fortunate to be a winner in last weeks Texture Tuesday over at Kim Klassen's website. I won her entire Studio Collection of textures!!! Lucky me : )
The theme last week was a 'garden party', which was great since I've been taking lots of photos of flowers lately.
This week the challenge is to add text to your photo or have text in the photo itself.

Here are my offerings for this week:
This photo is from Grand Cayman. The sun's rays were peaking out from behind a cloud in the late afternoon. It was gorgeous. I layered the photo with Kim's 'golden hour' texture x 2.
One layer at soft light the other at
multiply and added the text.




















Next photo is a close-up of bits of coral that had washed up on the beach. There were tons of coral, especially brain coral which you see some of here-very cool textures all by themselves!
I layered the photo with 2 layers of Kim's 'golden hour' again one was on multiply the other soft light,
then added the text and lowered the opacity of the text.
























The last photo is a close-up of a conch shell that had washed up on shore. I layered the photo with 2 layers of Kim's 'just blush' texture-one on multiply and one on soft light. I also added Kim's 'sonnet overlay', lowered the opacity & added a layer mask to mask the shell and add some shadows beneath the shell. Lastly, I added the text.



























As I look at the conch now, I realize I should've lowered the opacity of the text. My initial thought was that if I did, it might get lost in the sonnet overlay text but I think I still could've lowered it just a tad.

One of these days, I just have to get back to creating something with fabric, thread, beads, paint, etc.
OR maybe this photography/photoshop thing is just what I needed for the summer. Taking a break from the normal path of creativity and doing something new!  Doesn't really matter, as long as I'm having fun!
And I'm definitely having fun.
Last week, I promised a photo for Wordless Wednesday but was a slacker and didn't post one.
Tomorrow I already have it planned out-stay tuned~
Until then...live your life creatively~
cathy
kimklassencafe

Comments

Nancy said…
Congratulations on your win! You must be having so much fun with all of these awesome textures.

Your photos and editing are lovely. :)
Dyche Designs said…
Congratulations on winning all the textures, just think how much fun you can have. Beautiful pics.
These are wonderful! Lovely images and texture work...
I love your texture works and I wish I could have been on that Cayman beach with you...simply lovely. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen
Amy said…
Congrats on winning the Studio Collection! All of Kim Klassen's textures are just fabulous, but that collection really stands out. Have fun with it!

I LOVE your last photo of the conch shell - the overlay with the writing is perfect!
Thanks to everyone!! Kim's textures are fabulous!
So much fun to play with.
debsea said…
i have to say you are a deserving winner - what beautiful work you do with your photos! kim's textures have opened a whole new world for me, and i hear what you're saying...photos or fiber??? longer days would be good. your beach images are amazing! we get clam shells, a few mussels, nothing like that! wow!
Greenfingers said…
3 great shots, but wow, that one of the shell is my favourite. The texture brings it subtly to life and it is gorgeous
Thanks so much! I've been in love with seashells formost of my life. I have boxes & jars full of them. It was really hard to resist bringing home the many conch shells that I saw, but I just didn't have room in my suitcase!
Hello Cathy,


These photos are awesome and am also loving your banner!

~ Gabriela ~

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …