Skip to main content

"What I dream of, is an art of balance." Henri Matisse

Here I go again-- pondering where the time has gone and  completely amazed that it's been over 6 weeks since my last post.  I too dream of an 'art of balance'.  I can't seem to juggle all the little things in life like I used to. I used to be able to do 20 things at once and actually know what the hell I was doing.
Now...I have to really focus on what I'm doing and refuse to fill my schedule up with too many things.  In doing so, I neglect things that need to be done.  My dream is to BALANCE all aspects of my life. Allow myself the time to attend to all the things I need to do as well as all the things I WANT to do.
Ahhhh, it's nice to dream.....

Back to reality. The last post I was working on a project for a possible exhibition and got those items completed just in the nick of time.
I can show small bits of the art quilts but don't want to show the entire piece as yet.
For one of the pieces I decided I wanted to drive around to cemeterys and take photos of angels. Unfortunately the cemetery I chose only had 3 but the photos turned out pretty good. I played around in photoshop to get them just right then printed on fabric to use in the quilt.
Here's the photo of the unaltered cemetery angel.

Below is a section of the quilt with the altered angel printed on fabric.
The next photo is a close-up of another quilt I made of an angel. But with this one, I sketched the face in my sketchbook, scanned it, printed it on fabric then painted it with acrylic paint mixed with textile medium. I also used some pastel pencils in areas.
Her hair is dyed cheesecloth ripped and distorted then laid down in pieces and heavily stitched.
Eventually, I can show you both pieces in their entirety.

Now, I'm working on another piece with a due date of next Monday. Not quite finished but I'm getting there. LOTS of stitching to do. I'll probably be finishing up last minute again.

Here's a small section of the quilt. If you look closely, you'll see the pins still holding the pieces in place in this photo. All the pieces are in the process of being fused down, then the stitching will commence.

This piece will be entered for possible exhibition at Quilts Inc in Houston.  The theme is "Good for You".  So this piece has a meditation theme-since meditation is good for you!

Even though I was whining above about not being able to do a bazillion things at once anymore, I didn't do ANYTHING at all last week as my daughter was home for spring break. We did some shopping and lounging around watching old episodes of Grey's Anatomy but not much else. It was good for both of us to take a break.
Now it's back to work. Hopefully I will finish this in a somewhat timely manner. Meaning, I hope I can finish it by Saturday so I can spend Sunday photographing it and getting the photos ready to submit via email by Monday's deadline!
So, it's back to the sewing machine for me.
Live our life creatively~
cathy
p.s. the fabrics used in all 3 quilts were hand dyed silks, vat dyed and there were some discharged fabrics in the first angel quilt

Comments

You are so talented. I am in awe! --Suzanne
Terri Kahrs said…
Cathy, your quilts are gorgeous! The angel quilt, in particular, is awesome! What a beautiful photo, and your quilting is spectacular. Hope that all is well in your world, and yes, I can totally relate to your post. My head spins with art possibilities and there just seems to be so little time!!! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo
Weenie said…
that quilt is so beautiful. I really just want to look at it for a long time.

I also like your cheese cloth idea
:)
Thanks everyone! I promise to show the quilts in full at a later date. But if you are entering them into a juried show, they have to be pieces that you have never shown before.
Hugs right back to you Terri!!

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

Art Elements' Component of the Month for February

Jenny hosted this month's Component of the Month over at Art Elements. She created lovely polymer clay hearts that she sculpted with cracks/breaks and then used wire to 'suture' the broken heart back together. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  The green one really spoke to me so I requested a green heart cabochon (below).

 I decided to pair the beautiful green heart with one of Jenny's dryad pendants (below). They are created with ceramic clay and then she adds leaves/berries with polymer clay. I took the liberty of clipping off the wire for hanging (sorry Jenny) so I could use it as a cabochon.
 I already knew that I would create some sort of mixed media background to attach them to once I beaded around them. And of course I fortgot to photograph the cabochons by themselves once they were beaded.
So here they are fully beaded and already attached to my background.
I just love the heart on the tree...Reminiscent of hearts carved into tree trunks with lov…