Skip to main content

Texture Tuesday

Another blog post so soon! Can it be that I am procrastinating about the quilt I should be working on with a deadline of April 4th? Yep, that's me. I planned to spend all day at my sewing machine and here I am playing with photoshop. 
The thing is, after posting on my blog yesterday for the first time in weeks, I decided to do a little blog visiting and found 'Texture Tuesday' challenge over at Kim Klassen's website. I took a photoshop workshop with Kim and just love her altered photos. 

I took this photo this morning, even before I saw Kim's Tuesday's Texture challenge and decided that I just had to play with photoshop before heading to my sewing machine.
The photo was layered with her 'warm sun' texture and I used the overlay blending mode at about 50%.
I also added a photo filter and used a violet color. I also used a mask to bring back some of the clarity and color of the hyacinths after adding the texture.
I just love spring flowers! I bought these last week before they opened and now my entire house smells perfumey. Sorry to say that my flowering plants outside are not quite ready. They are just waking up after the long months of being buried under snow. Hopefully daffodils, tulips, crocus and hyacinths will be blooming here by Easter. Until then, I'll have to settle for these store-bought ones.

The reason my camera was out so soon this morning was due to Mrs. Mallard.
She greeted me almost as soon as I got up this morning. She flew up onto my deck railing. I quickly shoved the dog into the garage so he wouldn't see her and start barking and then grabbed my camera with the zoom lens. She stayed for quite a while letting me take her picture. At one point she stared straight at me.
It is mating season here for the ducks & geese. She is no doubt looking for a nice spot to make a nest. The male ducks and geese have been having fighting matches on a pretty regular basis. I really wish I had been able to get a picture of the big brawl last week. Two male Canadian geese were really tearing each other up. Beak to beak combat! And extremely loud with their honking. Wasn't quick enough with my camera though. Oh well, I'm sure there will be more fights before the mating season is over.

Ok, I REALLY have to get to the sewing machine!
I'll let you know how it goes. And if there's anyone out there looking for something to play around with while avoiding the work they need to do...go check out Kim's website and join the fun!
Live your life creatively~
cathy
p.s. just click on the pictures to enlarge them. the flowers look much better enlarged

Comments

Love the photos - and your commentary about geese and ducks mating. When I lived on the Chowan River I got a charge out of watching the process as the males tried to dominate. The colors in your hiacynth photo are gorgeous! Good job :)
very stunning, soft and airy...
Cedar said…
Very nice use of texture. Lovely photos!
beautiful picture of the flowers!!!
paperbird said…
lovely images cathy and the processing is wonderful.
Thanks everyone! I'm having fun with photoshop : ))
And Lucy, the mating season is truly an exciting thing to watch. Unbelievable how aggressive those males are!
Tito said…
Visit www.ptscout.blogspot.com and vote. Follow me.
snapshots2011 said…
Beautiful job with the texture- and I love the quote, so fitting!
I too used to sew like a fiend, but since discovering photoshop (and textures!) my sewing machine and computer must share my time!
Photoshop and photography really are addicting! I'm finding myself sitting at the computer more than the sewing machine these days. Trying to find some balance with everything is hard. Thanks for the comments.
What a happy happy distinguished duck....lovely! Happy April's Fool Day! Peace, Mary Helen
Thanks Mary Helen! Happy April Fool's to you too!

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …