Skip to main content

"Playing with Fire"


I'm taking a little break from fiber art at the moment and indulging in another passion-jewelry.
I signed up for an online course with the lovely & talented Stephanie Lee to learn how to make soldered metal pendants & jewelry.
Above are a few that are almost finished. I need to drill holes for jumprings and for the ones with bezels I need to put a cute little picture in there and fill with resin.
The class started over 2 weeks ago but I had so many other things going on that I wasn't able to get to my metal cutting & torching until last Friday. My first attempt was pretty laughable, then I got the hang of it and these are turning out pretty good.
I worked very hard last Friday, as well as yesterday and most of today. I am using a hand-held butane torch because I need a small torch for this process. I DO have a larger heavy duty propane torch for larger projects that I absolutely LOVE. But this particular type of soldering needs a smaller hand-held. The torch came with an extra canister of butane luckily since I've done so much soldering. This after noon I ran out of butane altogether and ran to the nearest little hardware store to buy more. They didn't have the kind that came with it so I bought the only kind they had. Came home, put it in my torch and proceeded to get to work.
WELL, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!  My particular little torch clearly states that you should ONLY use RONSON BUTANE. I didn't....
I was also having trouble with the trigger that automatically starts the torch so there's no need to light it.
So I'm not sure if the trouble was the trigger or the WRONG butane but my little torch got TORCHED!
Here it is now:
All melted. Luckily it didn't explode on me. And luckily I didn't get burned in the process. Also VERY fortunate that I happened to be working in the garage rather than my studio IN THE HOUSE!
 As soon as I pulled the trigger, flames started shooting out from the trigger area as well as the end of the torch. I immediately dropped it on the floor and kicked it away from me. Grabbed a piece of copper pipe and pushed it out of the garage and onto the driveway.
All the while it is continuing to burn!


I realized there was a fire extinguisher in the garage so I grabbed it and then realized I didn't know how to use it. Of course the instructions are on the canister but when you are a little freaked out about your torch blazing away in the driveway, you just start pulling and tugging without reading. After a couple attempts at trying to get the fire extinguisher to spray I actually READ the instructions. Really not that hard if you READ it first!
Lesson ONE: only use what the manufacturer recommends!
Lesson Two: ALWAYS use a torch outside or in an area with concrete floors!
Lesson Three: If the trigger isn't working--maybe there's something  wrong with it...just saying...
Lesson Four: If you don't have a fire extinguisher in your home-go out and buy one-then read the instructions so that if you ever need it, you'll know how to use it!
So here's a few more photos of the almost finished pendants.
And another:
And here are some pendants awaiting a new torch so that I can solder on the bezels:
I guess I'm going out tomorrow and buy another little butane torch. For now, I need to go explain the ordeal to my husband in a way that he doesn't put a moratorium on soldering or using a torch at all!
Wish me luck!

Comments

OMG !!!!! the torch !!! Ykies- But the work!!! Yippe I have taken a stepahine class to. I how I loved it and her!!! I ran out and bought evertything and now it sits in a drawer. i guess that is way I love taking classes at least in th claas I do it !!
Terri Kahrs said…
Holy Cow!!!! It's a wonder that YOU didn't go up in flames!!! Thank goodness you were on concrete, and it was quick thinking of you to push the flaming torch out of the garage. I can't even begin to imagine what would have happened had you been in your studio. I, personally, have a moratorium on anything involving fire, torches, flames, excessive heat. LONG story, but suffice it to say that I've learned my lesson!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo
Thanks Julie!
Yes Terri, I keep marveling at the fact that I didn't freak out. I kept my cool and took care of it.
Hubby didn't issue any rules about torching & fire, so I went out and bought another torch.
Would love to hear YOUR story!
Thanks dear & hugs back to you!
Riki Schumacher said…
Hi Cathy, I can't believe your torch torched! Yikes, that is a sad picture. Your pieces look wonderful, looks like you've got it! Great job. I have never heard that is matters what butane fluid you use, so I'm guessing the torch had a problem. Good luck with the next one. The one from Rings & Things is pretty good. Take care, happy creating! Riki
HI Riki, Thanks for stopping by.
Yes, my husband assured me that it wasn't the butane. Obviously the trigger mechanism was faulty.

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

January's Component of the Month-Leather Cabochons

Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month.  That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.

I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…