Skip to main content

How did we get here?

July is winding down and summer is breezing by at a rapid pace. Amazing how you think in May that you have an entire summer spread out before you with a million plans. Then all of a sudden it's mid July and you start to panic because you realize there isn't that much time left to do all the things you wanted.

The panic set in last week as my daughter & I realized that we only had 3 weeks left before she leaves for college. I also leave for a high school reunion 2 days before she leaves, which gives ME even less time.
We are scurrying around like squirrels gathering the last of the acorns before winter in an attempt to get all the  "stuff" she needs for her apartment, school supplies and last but not least all the clothes she needs/wants!
So far, we're doing pretty good at gathering. Of course then it all needs to be packed...

Needless to say, time spent in my studio has been precious little! I haven't worked on my second tree piece since the last post. I am however working on another felted, embroidered, beaded piece for another mixed media type piece like my "Autumn Detritus" &  "Tidal Pool". They were both done by hand and then mounted onto painted, collaged canvas, with more stitching, beading added.  I like to have something to work on at night, so this is my current project whilst being a couch potato in the evenings!


I started with a piece of wool felt that I laid bits of painted silk chiffon; dyed silk strips; silk and wool fibers;and alpaca fibers down on, then needle felted. It started to take on an underwater look and feel. Possibly a coral garden?? At this stage the only hand sewing I had done was the copper mesh ribbon that I manipulated into a coral-like shape and stitched down. Since then I have begun to add, silk ribbon stitches and regular embroidery floss. I will take photos of the stage I'm at now before I begin to add beads.

As I look at the photo now, the blue water areas really show a lot of movement. I like that! Lots of swirling water. Very cool. Amazing how you see things so differently when you photograph it.

Gotta run...More gathering of back-to-school essentials to be bought!
Enjoy the rest of your summer as it is slipping away rapidly.
Live your life creatively~
cathy

Comments

Laura said…
Love the look of this. I love the color and feel of the water.
Such gorgeous colours in the silk and wool fibres here. It is going to look beautiful.
Looks like you are starting to enjoy this Cathy!
I understand the end of summer panic..I love your beautiful felted composition...the colors are so inviting...have you ever added a sparkle of metallic threads to your felted works? I was just wondering... how they would reflect the light and reflect into the colors. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
I have used metallic threads and love them! In this piece I've used copper metallic thread to anchor the copper mesh ribbon and I plan to add more throughout.
Thanks for your lovely comments.
Jan said…
Hi, my first visit to your blog and I wanted to say how much I have enjoyed it. Love your Keeper of the Trees. Did you get the title from the Cat Stevens song of the same name?
Hi Jan, Thanks for stopping by.No I didn't think about Cat Stevens song, at least not consciously! Maybe it was stuck deep in my head, but the little guy just looked like he might be left in charge of the forest.

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …