Skip to main content

"The Vocabulary of Rust"

Vocabulary: An aggregate or range of things, qualities, or techniques that form the basis of a means of expression, especially in the arts: a painter with a rich vocabulary of colors.

This new piece was created with the fabric that I rusted several months ago. I was just playing around to see what if...
I was in the middle of creating the piece for the 'pathways' challenge in my guild when I grabbed some of the rusted fabric and started mixing them up and adding some paint to some of the pieces.
You can see the original post with many of the rusted pieces here. This is actually the piece of rusted white cotton velvet and the rusted commercial printed cotton that I used in the final piece.


I used some black paint to create some circles on the printed cotton piece to coordinate with the rusted circles on the velvet piece. I created a collage with the velvet in the center and I also used some dyed silks that were in similar colors as the rusted pieces. I also threw in some gold tissue paper as well to see if it would work. Once I had my collage like I wanted it, I fused it all down on a piece of felt then placed a piece of burgundy polyester chiffon over the entire piece. I free motioned outlining the rusted shapes and the dyed silks then burned a few holes in the chiffon with a heat gun. The bright white of the velvet was a little too stark so I then used some watered down quinacridone azo gold acrylic paint to dab around the burned chiffon and I liked it so much I added a bit more here and there.
I found 3 rusted & flattened bottle caps and 2 rusted metal washers to sew on top of the finished piece.
It is edged in a rusty colored chiffon ribbon.

The burgundy chiffon really changed the colors of the rusted fabrics as well as the dyed silks.
Here's a closer shot.

I was going to use wire to attach the metal pieces but I didn't want to punch holes in the bottle caps and I didn't like the way the wire was looking so I used kreinik metallic thread. Hopefully it holds up!
Was initially going to call this piece the language of rust because of the words printed on the commercial cotton and because of the way the rust reacted with the fabrics. But then I realized that 'vocabulary' was a much better word for it. The rust was 'expressing itself onto the fabric', imbuing it with colors and patterns
of oxidation.
As soon as I photograph the 'pathways' piece I will post that.

Until then-live your life creatively~
cathy

Comments

I'm loving the texture on that top piece! Shelley
Terri Kahrs said…
Your "vocabulary" is expanding by leaps and bounds, Cathy. This piece is exquisite! How I wish I could see and touch it "in person". I'm sure that your pictures just don't do it justice. Hugs, Terri xoxo
beadbabe49 said…
I love your masterful use of color and design in your driftwood piece and the rust dyed velvet is scrumptious!
thanks Shelley, Terri & beadbabe!
Janine said…
These are truely masterpieces.
They are terrific.
Sea Gypsy said…
Oh Wow! These pieces you have been doing our over the top fantastic! I have been wanting to try the rust fabric. I think it is just the coolest look! I love textiles and hope to get more into it next year. You are an inspiration! Have a beautiful weekend.
Thanks Teressa, Janine and Sea Gypsy!
I am way behind in posting anything new, so thanks for stopping.
god you are so multi talented> You sense of design color texture are just so sophisticated
Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone: ))

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

Art Elements' Component of the Month for February

Jenny hosted this month's Component of the Month over at Art Elements. She created lovely polymer clay hearts that she sculpted with cracks/breaks and then used wire to 'suture' the broken heart back together. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  The green one really spoke to me so I requested a green heart cabochon (below).

 I decided to pair the beautiful green heart with one of Jenny's dryad pendants (below). They are created with ceramic clay and then she adds leaves/berries with polymer clay. I took the liberty of clipping off the wire for hanging (sorry Jenny) so I could use it as a cabochon.
 I already knew that I would create some sort of mixed media background to attach them to once I beaded around them. And of course I fortgot to photograph the cabochons by themselves once they were beaded.
So here they are fully beaded and already attached to my background.
I just love the heart on the tree...Reminiscent of hearts carved into tree trunks with lov…