Skip to main content

Mentally, I'm still in vacation mode....

Wow! I can't believe I've been to sunny FL and back. I've missed so much on everyone's blog. It will take a while to catch up with everyone. Although with my daughter home for the summer I have a feeling that my blogging as well as my artwork is going to slide a bit. So forgive me if I don't post or comment very often.
Spending time with her right now is more important as I've realized kids grow up way too fast and take off on their own so quickly that I'm going to savor time with her this summer. She may not come home at all next summer. She's thinking of staying at college and working. So I'll take a bit of a break from art and blogging. Not totally
withdraw but step back a bit, so I can be available to take off and go with her to the lake or shopping or even go to yoga together.
As I promised on my last post, I am posting photos from my trip to FL.
First photo is from the back deck, looking out over the intercoastal waterway at sunset.
Next photo is Mr. Turtle. He lived in the dunes between the house and the beach. He had a few companions also. He came out with his friends several times a day to chow down on vegetation.
Then he would slip back into his huge hole in the sand. Isn't he cute?


Next photo is a storm brewing over the Atlantic Ocean. It was taken from the front
deck on the house we stayed in. Just love the ominous sky. It looks like someone is pulling
a dark curtain down over the light sky.



And FINALLY... The grandchildren in the new outfits! I stamped dolphins on my grandson's and seahorses on the girl's dresses. The girls really loved their's.
I took a ton of them so I will pick the best ones and frame them for their
'pap' for Father's Day.



Why is it that vacations always feel too short? I think vacations should be a
minimum of 2 weeks.Although with all the stuff you have to do when you get
back home it would be even worse.Acclimating back to reality and laundry and grocery shopping and on and on really makes the vacation slip further and further
from your mind.
Maybe if I goof off with my daughter this summer I can extend some of that
'vacation state of mind'.
I will post a few pieces of art that is in progress just to prove I AM doing something. The question is... will I finish all the pieces in progress?
I do have some projects that are a MUST! So when I get to those I will
definitely show you those.
For now...so long and hope to see you within a week or so. I will probably do
more looking at sites, then posting. Time is precious. Enjoy it!

P.S. I found out when I got home that I was the lucky winner of a giveaway over at my new friend Janine's blog. If you don't know her, please go check out her blog.
And wish her a speedy recovery as well,because she just had surgery on her foot.
But because of her inability to be up and about, she is creating some wonderful paintings! There is always a bright side to any little mishap in our lives!

Comments

Janine said…
Dear Cathy, looks as if your vacation was awesome. What a sweet photo of your darling grandchildren with that cute dresses (I still can´t believe that you are a grandmum).
You are perfectly right!
Go and share your time with the ones you love.
Your painting is one the way.
My mum brought it to the mail- office today.
Have a great time
Hugs
Janine
Terri Kahrs said…
Welcome Home, Cathy!
Someone once said that if you can have that "vacation feeling" last at least 1/2 a day after your return, it was a successful vacation! I think it was a woman! Nothing like daily errands, shopping, cooking, cleaning and washing to put a damper on a vacation buzz!!! Just take time to remember all of the sweet memories you just created in St. Augustine.

Loved all of your pics, but the one of your grandbabies wearing their beautiful, handpainted clothes is my absolute fave!!! OMG, Cathy, they're beautiful!!! I'm sure there were a lot of laughs, hugs, grins and giggles to be shared.

RE: Art & Blogging - Everything will still be here after your daughter goes back to school. Enjoy her being home!!! It's w-a-y more important than anything else.

I truly appreciated all of your lovely comments! You totally made my heart sing when you said that you could pick my work out of a line-up!!! Yay! I'm beginning to have a style of my own!!! And when I read that there's a book on Rhett . . . . . well!!!!
Sounds like it's a gotta-get-it book for sure!

Thanks for your blog visit and your kind encouragement! Have a wonderful day! Hugs, Terri xoxo
Cathy Mendola said…
Thanks Janine! I'm looking forward to receiving my beautiful piece of art. Which reminds me I have a few pieces to finish up and mail out for a giveaway I posted a few months ago!
Thanks to you also Terri! I will take it easy this summer and not push myself to create. If I have a moment to do so, I will otherwise...no worries! Thanks again!
deb did it said…
such a precious photo of those little ones on the beach, sporting darling new clothes!!

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

Art Elements' Component of the Month for February

Jenny hosted this month's Component of the Month over at Art Elements. She created lovely polymer clay hearts that she sculpted with cracks/breaks and then used wire to 'suture' the broken heart back together. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  The green one really spoke to me so I requested a green heart cabochon (below).

 I decided to pair the beautiful green heart with one of Jenny's dryad pendants (below). They are created with ceramic clay and then she adds leaves/berries with polymer clay. I took the liberty of clipping off the wire for hanging (sorry Jenny) so I could use it as a cabochon.
 I already knew that I would create some sort of mixed media background to attach them to once I beaded around them. And of course I fortgot to photograph the cabochons by themselves once they were beaded.
So here they are fully beaded and already attached to my background.
I just love the heart on the tree...Reminiscent of hearts carved into tree trunks with lov…