Skip to main content

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin

That quote really opens my eyes.Makes me realize that art is so subjective.Art is
the raw emotions, dreams and imaginings of the artist and as viewers of the art we do not always necessarily see or feel what the artist felt at the moment the art was created. I think each person who views art will see it differently because of their own particular emotions or dreams. Of course on any given day those emotions can
be different, so each time we view art it can change for us. Which is why I always get really upset when I read a review of an artist's work by an art critic! How can one person look at a body of work and give us a valid and reasonable opinion, when art is SUBJECTIVE. How does that critic 'know' what the artist meant or felt when the artist created it?(Unless of course the critic interviewed the artist.)Also, when the artist created the art he/she may not have had any idea in mind and just let things flow intuitively with no rhyme or reason for it. Does that make any sense?
Sorry to be so DEEP today. Feeling rather introspective.
My week alone (daughter went back to college, hubby on business trip) did not go quite as planned.But then does anything ever go as planned? I developed a rather nasty sinus infection which has made my brain foggier than normal and a bit light- headed to go with it. So all the art I had planned did NOT get done. I did however
finally get my abstracts posted that I finished before daughter came home for spring
break.Also, finally got around to photographing some daily tag art.
I am VERY behind in uploading them.

There is still a stack in my studio waiting to have fibers/ribbon added and then photographed.

Hopefully I will finish getting all the old ones posted in the next few days.

Even though I didn't do ALL the art I had planned last week. I DID however, create a new painting which I will post tomorrow and I have started YET another project--
mixed media on fabric which I will photograph in stages since it's basically an experiment.

My crazy quilt from a previous posting is sitting patiently by the sewing machine awaiting it's borders and backing. I used some Shiva Oil Sticks and texture plates to create a design on some fabric that I want to use as the borders. Waiting for that to 'cure' before heat setting and sewing. Will post that when it's done.

Live creatively~
cathy

Comments

Terri Kahrs said…
Oh, Cathy! I'm SO sorry to hear about your nasty sinus infection and delayed art plans. Wish I were closer geographically so that I could make you a nice cup of tea and deliver a "hug" in person, you poor sweet thing (sending HUG!).

In spite of the unforeseen circumstances, it does sound like you accomplished quite a lot - several on-going projects in various stages of completion is an awesome accomplishment. Can't wait to see what you've been up to. I must admit, I DO love your fabric pieces!

Take good care, and listen to your body. SUPER "feel better" hugs! Terri xoxo
e.beck.artist said…
i LOVE that nin quote .. i have it on my desk top and over my sink ... it really explains a lot about life!
Cathy Mendola said…
Thank you dear Terri! A cup of hot tea and a hug would be great medicine. I'll have to settle for making myself the tea and waiting for hubby to get home tonight for the hugging!
Hopefully I'll be back to 'normal' in a few more days.
Hello Elizabeth! That is a pretty cool quote.
How's Carol's clay class in GA? I really miss it.
Cathy I love the quote. Sorry you are not well:( I hope that cruddy stuff goes away soon.
Quiet times seem to creep in to your soul when you are alone. I spend quite a bit of time that way. But there are always those bright moments when your home is filled with creativity, and again when everyone comes home it fills with love and laughter.
Sending You a HUG hope Hubby is safe on his way home.

Your art tags are just lovely I have enjoyed seeing each one. Can't wait to see the rest.

XXXOOOO
Becky
Cathy Mendola said…
Thanks Becky! Hubby made it home safe & sound although we were in the midst of a spring snowstorm. More snow on the way today!
Have a great week and hugs to you too.
I hope you feel right soon. It's no fun to be sick when the weather starts being springy and wonderful.

Oh my, look at those lovely, lovely tags and so many! It's fun to see so many all together. I could look at them for hours and yet can't wait to see the ones yet to be finished! They are beautiful and creative and fabulous miss Cathy!
soulbrush said…
i absolutely love what you've done and are doing. keep it up and show us more.
Cathy Mendola said…
Thanks Marsha. Will pop over to your blog to see what you've been up to.

Thanks soulbrush. I will come check out your blog as well.
Marlis said…
love the quote and LOVE LOVE LOVE your tags! i hope you are feeling better now.
Cathy Mendola said…
Thank you Marlis. I've been out of commssion for several days now. On top of the killer sinus infection, my internet modem DIED!
I'm now working from my husband's laptop from work. Hopefully my new modem will arrive today.
I'll join in the blogging world ASAP.
cathy

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …