I knew I wanted to do an embroidery piece for this month’s theme. I wanted to keep a series going that I started with the fairy theme back in September which is an embroidery piece with the moon in the background. I also did an embroidery piece for January’s Moon theme. So here is my Luna Moth Moon piece.
|Embroidered Luna Moth- 12x12 on stretched canvas|
I have never tried using watercolor paint on fabric, only textile paint or acrylic with textile medium. For this piece I decided to try Daniel Smith watercolor paint in Buff Titanium. It has such a luminous finish on paper and when painted on the black fabric it created a pretty cool moon surface. I sketched a Luna Moth on paper the size I wanted my embroidery to be & used it as a template to trace around the design onto the black fabric using a white gel pen. Then I gathered threads and started to work. Once the embroidery was done, I backed it with several layers of quilt batting and stapled it over a 12x12 canvas.
|close-up of embroidered Luna Moth|
My second & smallest piece probably took the longest to create. It started out as a two dimensional beaded Luna moth but then I changed my mind and decided she was going to be a 3-d small art doll. I sewed the backing on as you normally would if making a bead embroidered pendant but left one end open so that I could stuff it with a little polyfil, then finished beading it closed. Now this next step is where I almost lost my mind...I wanted to make her wings from a wire frame and then bead the wire frame. Ha! I got about 50 beads wired on and had barely covered one tip of a wing when I decided nope not gonna go this way. Changed course and decided to created some shiny cellophane wings over the wire frame. First of all I used the original frame which had wire that was way too large in gauge, secondly I used a heat tool to try and melt the cellophane onto the wings and used it way too close in areas. The wings were okay but just did not make the cut. So back to the drawing board. Final attempt was lighter, airier and much better for this little Luna baby. I used bits of fabric snips, yarn and snippets of cellophane sandwiched between tulle. I placed all this on water soluble stabilizer and used a satin stitch to get all the bits stitched together. I dissolved the stabilizer then let it dry. I didn’t use wire to help the wings hold their shape instead I used a small amount of fabric stiffener. Once dry I glued her wings on & gave her some beaded antennae.
|Ceramic Face Cabochon is by teammate Jenny Davies-Reazor|
I painted a wooden base and glued flat glass marbles to the bottom to compensate for the screw head (since I didn't use a router to allow the screw to be flush with the wooden base)which I used to attach the wooden bead which holds up the baby Luna. I inserted a heavy weight piece of wire into the doll at the bottom of her body to glue into the wooden bead.
|Baby Beaded Luna Moth|
|Back side of Baby Luna-You can really see how transparent her wings are|
|Queen Mother of the Luna Moths|
|Close up of the Queen of Silk Moths-she definitely has a bug-like face;-)|
|For comparison-Baby & Queen side by side|
Looking forward to seeing all the participants Luna Moth creations. I have seen glimpses on social media but really looking forward to the full reveal. Thanks to Jen for such a fun theme.
Here’s the list of team members participating this month and our guest: