|My Collection of butterfly wings and the intact Swallowtail|
Well, this is as far as I got making a pendant with one of the butterfly wings....So stay tuned for some resin/butterfly pendants sometime in the future.
|Wire for butterfly wing|
First problem-I didn't create a pattern.. I just drew out some wings on the green fabric, backed it with quilt batting and started machine embroidering. Well, my luna moth is now a mutant luna. Her wings
are not proportional to her body and the aspect ratio of the wings is all wrong. Oh well, artistic license to change things, right?
The upper wings should be wider than the bottom wings but I liked the bottom wings and didn't want to remake them nor did I want to re-do the top wings plus I was running out of that beautiful green fabric. Her body is quite plump (and a tad too big for the wings) but I like the fuzziness. After sewing & stuffing it, I needle-felted some pale yellow/cream wool over it to resemble a moth's body and even gave her antennae with the felt. I used a bit of wax to twist the antennae and keep the fibers stuck together.
|Fuzzy Luna Moth Body|
|Soft Sculpture Mutant Luna Moth|
I had forgotten just how much the plastic shrinks when heated so I did a really large one and a smaller one. I found out it shrinks almost 50%.
|Shrinky Dink Butterflies BEFORE baking|
|Brilliant Butterflies after baking|
The larger butterly was approximately 6 inces across before baking, now it is about 3 inches from wing tip to wing tip. Smaller one was about 3" and now about and inch and a half.
Now I just need to figure out a way to use them in another project. I could always bead around them!
I can't wait to see all the wonderful insects that the other team members and guest participants have created for this month's challenge. You can click on the links below to check out all the bugs!
Art Elements Team