Skip to main content

'The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.' Socrates

Moving is hard... I knew this before we moved and yet somehow I thought this time would be different since we wanted to move and we got to choose where we moved. I was so excited to start this next chapter of our lives-heading down the path to retirement.
The good thing is, I was so busy unpacking and visiting with family and friends the first couple of months that I didn't really have time to process all the changes that we were going through.
It has now started to sink in that life is really different...
Not bad different, just different. I have had a bit of a pity party lately. I miss my art groups and I miss my art group friends. I miss my yoga studio and my wonderful yoga teachers and fellow yogis.The heat in Carolina has been a bit much especially the humidity-so yes, I guess I miss the cooler temps of Illinois. BUT I won't be saying that come January and February!
I knew this small town we moved to only had ONE yoga studio but thought it would be fine. I have tried going several times. I keep hoping I will feel more at home there but it's soooooo different from the yoga studios that I knew and loved along the North Shore of Chicago. Everything is different about the studio and the yoga. I keep researching the studios in nearby Raleigh too. I will have to put my 'big girl' yoga pants on and drive to Raleigh and check out one of those studios. In the meantime, I do my own yoga at home and there are exercise classes at the clubhouse in my neighborhood. It's very convenient and it's a nice change of pace. So I guess I need to 'build on the new' like the quote in the title says.
As far as my art groups...I mentioned in my last post that I had joined the local art group which is nice but still not quite like the group of fiber friends in IL. The good thing has been joining the Art Jewelry Elements group online. It's the next best thing to having a local, in-person group. I am 'building the new'!
So with that bit of whining out of the way and a desire to 'build the new' I am revisiting my yearly project. I put it on hold when I discovered that I chose the wrong color for the Earth element.
This is the first element I did-FIRE
FIRE element





The next element I started was supposed to be Earth. I started it the week we were in the process of moving. I thought it would be good to keep handy to bead on while the guys did the packing. It was while we were driving form IL to NC that I realized I had done the Earth element in the wrong color. When I started it I just assumed Earth would be green. Right?? Nope, it's supposed to be yellow. So after keeping it stored away in a box for the last 4 months I have pulled it out and think I can salvage it by cutting another round piece of green felt and embroidering the proper symbol for the Wood element. Wood is green. That way I don't have to toss this aside or tear out all the beading. I think I can manage to slip the newly embroidered piece under my peyote bezel. I didn't bead it too tightly so I think it will work. Below is the Chinese symbol for Earth but the color palette is for Wood. Next time you see this green embroidered piece I hope to have the Chinese symbol for Wood covering the Earth symbol up.




Since I was so frustrated with that I chose to just work on pendants for necklaces.
Here are several that are in various stages of being complete. I have promised myself I WILL NOT MAKE any more until I finish these. Of course I did start a bracelet yesterday with one of the beautiful Czech glass buttons I just got! LOL

Roan Leopard Marble cab with Onyx cab
Labradorite cabs with freshwater pearls
Turquoise Howlite cab with a Moon snail shell


There is a challenge going on at the Art Jewelry Elements blog this month and I really want to participate in that. So as soon as I finish this blog post I will head to my studio and see if I can make my own artisan head pins for the challenge. Wish me luck!
Check out the blog post, you might want to join in the fun also. 

Life your life creatively~
cathy


Comments

Robbie said…
Well, FIRE is beautiful...as is Wood or Earth!! It's wonderful too!!!! Your work is always amazing. I am sure once you get 'settled' in you will love your new environment!!! Always takes awhile to get adjusted!
Thanks so much Robbie! I don't know how I missed your comment here but thanks for stopping by & commenting:-)

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

January's Component of the Month-Leather Cabochons

Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month.  That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.

I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…