Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Creative Organization

Whenever I go into my studio it's like Christmas morning when I was a kid. I don't know what to play with first!  I always have a bad case of ADD when I walk in without a plan. SO, I definitely have to have some sort of schedule before walking in there.
My friend Cindy & I embarked on a goal setting plan at the beginning of 2013 and for the most part it has been working well. At the beginning of every month I write down my artistic goals for the month.
Then on Sundays I write up a plan for the week. Each day Cindy & I email each other our goals for the day. Sounds a bit regimented and doesn't sound as though it would allow for a lot of spontaneity. Emailing each other keeps me motivated to reach my daily goals.  I try to stay accountable.
You'd be surprised at how prolific I have been for the past year and a half. Even though I haven't posted on my blog regularly I have been busy.
Writing down the daily goals gets me in my studio and with a plan in place it keeps me on track (for the most part)!
Then there are those days where I'm in my studio and working on a project and my mind starts to wonder. Then my eyes start to roam about the room that desperately needs cleaning. Sewing table is a mess. Ironing board is piled high with works in progress and the beading/jewelry table looks like a disaster. Knitting needles are on the sewing table, in a tote bag and also spilling out of a vase like spikey flowers. So what do I do then?
Decide to tackle a project that has been on my mind for a while but I had not put it down as a goal. I just HAVE TO to create a knitting needle case for all my needles I have been collecting.
They were scattered about with no place to call home.
I decide to 'wing it'. No pattern, no particular design in mind other than I wanted to use some vinyl screening that I already had. I thought that would give it some structure. So I grabbed a couple remnants of ulpholstsery fabric and my vinyl. Gathered all my needles to see how many wide I needed to make it. Then I started cutting and sewing. 
Not perfect. I didn't even use my straight edge or a ruler! 
Just stitched the fabric onto the screening, leaving the screening long enough at the top to fold down over the needle pockets to keep them in place. And I have velcro to hold the top part in place.  I also stitched pockets for all the different size needles.
And Voila!


Knitting needle case with top flap folded down

Needle case with top flap opened up to reveal the pockets

All rolled up 
The only problem is. I haven't tagged each pocket with the needle size. Which isn't too big a deal since the straight needles have the size at the top. The only problem is my circular needles. I left them in their original case for now and put them in the pockets but it's creating too much bulk. I do have a needle gauger that I can use to determine which size they are if I decide to throw their original cases out. But then there is the length issue. Although it's pretty easy to determine the length of the circular ones.
I only have one set of DPN (double pointed needles) so far-so no problem determing their size.

I didn't actually accomplish all the goals on my list that day but I do have my knitting needles all organized in a pretty little case.

Now, I am off to work on today's goals!

I vow to update this blog on a regular basis. I guess if I put it in my goals then it will get done!

Live your life creatively~

cathy


1 comment:

HEY MIKE !!!!!! said...

I enjoy seeing and reading about your art. Mike J.