Skip to main content

"We can't plan life. All we can do is be available for it." Lauryn Hill

The above quote really sums it up...
Yesterday felt like the first day in a really long time that I have been able to relax & breathe. Sometimes life just comes flying at you at the speed of light and days go whirling past. It seem as though you're on a roller coaster that just won't stop. Such has been my life since September. Some good, some bad...
The good-went on a trip to see kids & grandkids then scouted out a potential area for retirement.
Got home from that trip in time to celebrate my baby girl's 21st birthday! Got busy making loads of jewelry for a local gift shop-Peg Ann Kompany and for the Fine Art of Fiber gift boutique and for the Deerpath Art Gallery's holiday celebration. Shipped an art quilt to Fermilab Gallery for their 'Stitched Together- Art & Science' exhibit. Went to college for 'Dad's weekend and to do some tailgating & see a football game. Busy, busy but all  good!
The bad-my husband had a sudden, severe asthma attack and had to be on a ventilator in Intensive Care for several days. It was like an out-of-body experience for me as well as him. Just like the quote, I was 'available for it'. I put on my take-charge/be the boss/show no emotion 'hat' and dealt with everything that came at me. A pretty good coping mechanism that helped me get throught it. Funny how something like that causes you to really get your priorities straight! Suddenly, the only thing that mattered in the world was being available for my husband. I lost track of whether I was eating or bathing or sleeping.  Yet, when I was at the hospital I was fully aware of everything going on and spoke with doctors, nurses; asked questions and advocated for him since he was under heavy sedation and incapable of doing anything for himself.
Fortunately, my husband recovered from the severe attack, was discharged and is doing much better. Still some issues to deal with due to his many years of smoking but retirement is sounding really good to me about now! If only I could convince him of that.
The other little itty, bitty bad thing is- I had another biopsy! Teeny, tiny- not a big deal in the scheme of things but so annoying. I have had so many little biopsies of moles that I should've lost about 10 pounds with all the little bits of flesh they've removed. Anyway, hoping for a benign diagnosis next week.
The bad from my husband's emergency is still lingering with me at times. I think about it periodically  and wonder if it was just a bad dream.  Cannot believe he/we went through that. Pretty scary that asthma can be provoke such a life-threatening situation.

Anyway, that's how my life has been going lately. Showing up, being available, dealing with what the day brings and trying to maintain your sanity is about all we can do.

The things which help me maintain my sanity are yoga & art.  I've been so busy lately that there's been very little time for either. But things are looking up!  I'm back to playing with photoshop, blogging, checking in with friends on Facebook and also making more jewelry. I have some jewelry posted on my Facebook 4 Art site if you're interested. But because of my biopsy I'm not supposed to go to yoga for 2 wks but I may sneak back sooner than that.

In the meantime, here are a few more photos I altered in photoshop this week.
These cows are 'banded Galloways'. They were at Fearrington Village  near Pittsboro, NC. Saw them on our 'retirement location-scouting' trip. The bull was HUGE and the female was loving on him big time. I used Kim Klassen's 'phoebe' texture on this photo as well as a vintage peeling photo frame of my own.










This photo was taken near my house at a prairie preserve. This is an original log cabin on the property. I thought the fact that the gate was painted a beautiful periwinkle blue was really odd but cute! I used Kim's 'phoebe' texture on this one also, along with her 'thursday' & 'scripted' textures. The 'scripted' texture was used at such a low opacity that you can't see the script but it added a lightness to it that I liked.



This photo of 3 little birds sitting on a fence was also taken while in NC. I applied several of Kim's textures and a couple of my own to create this one.









I was so excited to get this close-up shot of a grasshopper on my purple coneflowers before the frost got them.
He was very cooperative even with me getting so close to him. I only used Kim's textures on this one.
This final one is a blending of 2 separate photos then added textures. I used a photo of a dying tree wrapped in vines that had turned a gorgeous shade of red but you can't tell in this photo because I changed the levels, hue & saturation to the point that it looks more like fluffy, golden grasses.
Then I added several textures and played with blend modes. Lastly, I added a photo of actual grasses at the edge of a pond over everything and played with blend modes until I got it right!







Wednesday I was wordless, today I don't know how to stop!
So I'll just make myself take a break and go put those new bracelets on my Facebook page.

Glad to be back among the blogging community! Hope to pop in for a visit to see what's been going on with you folks real soon.

Lesson of today...if you are still smoking-QUIT now! Otherwise you are probably looking at a diagnosis of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in your future. Not the way you want to spend your senior years, believe me!  The other lesson is-if you're still baking yourself in the sun(or tanning bed) for that
beautiful golden glow-STOP now! The sun truly damages your skin in more ways than just wrinkles. 
You're capable of saving your lungs & your skin. It's your choice.


I will get off my soapbox now and say have a great weekend everyone!

Live your life creatively~

cathy

Comments

Everyone needs to stop smoking...my daughter and her husband think I am a pain but I know they are cutting their lives short. I love the grasshopper and the music is so wonderful! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
Incidentally, I like the way you have structured your site, it is super and very easy to follow. I have bookmarked you and will be back regularly. Thank you
security equipment
Amy said…
SO glad to hear your hubby has recovered!

Love the grasshopper photo!
Thanks everyone! Fun to be back blogging.

Popular posts from this blog

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…