Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"The human tendency to regard little things as important has produced very many great things." Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday today is titled "It's the Little Things'.
The 'little things'......life is made up of so many little things that can make your heart sing. I always marvel at those insignificant moments that can bring a smile to my face or make me break out in laughter. 

You know what I'm talking about...holding a newborn baby, hearing a child laughing, or a kitten purr.
Smelling freshly mowed grass or apple pie baking. Watching the sun rise or set over the ocean, seeing a child take her first steps. 

All these seemingly small things are moments that find us smiling without even realizing it. These moments are the real stuff that life is made of. I am finding more of these moments the older I get. Not sure if it's the realization that I'm a mere mortal and am inching towards the autumn of my life (YIKES!) or the simple fact that I have become such a camera nut that I'm always in search of capturing those moments in time that make me smile. Doesn't matter what is causing it, I'm finding so many of these 'little things' that really cause me to slow down, smile & enjoy their gifts. 

One of my favorite 'little things' is watching all the water fowl behind my house. The baby ducks & baby geese have been a highlight this year. Of course the babies are pretty much all grown up now and resemble their parents but here's a few photos of some Canadian Geese during the gawky adolescent looking stage. SMILE...

Not sure if this is mama or papa with the child. Both parents stay extremely close to their offspring.

This photo was layered with Kim's 'stained linen' texture at multiply 90% opacity and I used a layer mask to mask the mama/daddy & baby. Then I layered it with Kim's 'luminous' texture times 2. One at linear burn 32% opacity and one at multiply 32% opacity.






Love how fuzzy the baby's head & neck is. They shed the baby fuzz & feathers as they grow and the yard was full of goose feathers. 































This is a close up of the baby.
Love how he's standing with his feet a bit pigeon toed! So cute. 
These little things make me SMILE so much.

For this photo, I layered Kim's 'canvasback magic' texture at screen blend 100% opacity. Then layered it with Kim's 'luminous' texture at hue 67%, then added a photo filter in a light gray color at multiply 50%. And the last layer is Kim's 'water stained frame' on soft light at 55% opacity.
This little guy had just hopped out of the pond and the fluffy baby feathers were still matted down with water. Another SMILE moment caught in time!

What makes your heart sing and lightens your day? Think about those little tidbits in our lives that when
crammed all together make your life so worthwhile.

Live your life creatively & always carry your camera to capture those 'little moments'~
cathy
kimklassencafe

9 comments:

Deanna said...

Oh thanks for stopping by my blog, I see you are from the Chicago area, so am I, love your geese shots. I have a pond across the street from our home and enjoyed the baby geese this summer too.

notmassproduced said...

what a beautiful post....celebrate the little things....very important :)

Henrietta said...

I like the first one so much, the light is beautiful and they are cute:) Good edit

Dyche Designs said...

Great post, you know me I love wildlife. Beautiful use of texture.

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

THanks!! I do love the wildlife also!

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

These are lovely photos, Cathy. We have several Toulouse geese here on the farm and they are so much fun to watch. :)

urban muser said...

lovely shots!

Matteo Taffuri said...

Bellissime!
have a nice day
ciao
Matteo

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

Thanks so much everyone!