Skip to main content

Wabi Sabi & Texture Tuesday

"Wabi Sabi represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent & incomplete".
Characteristics of the wabi sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, roughness or irregularity, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes."


I tend to adhere to a wabi sabi kind of aesthetic in that I am completely in awe of the imperfections in nature. I love rough, gnarly tree bark, crinkly old leaves and seed pods. I even find the strings of algae in the pond quite beautiful even if it's a bit smelly at times. Nature is a thing of beauty in all seasons whether it's in the spring when everything appears to spring to life or even in the dead of winter when trees are bare and look like sculptures against the sunsets. 
With a wabi sabi mindset, I have been photographing tree bark and pond algae, tree branches with the blue sky as a backdrop and even leaves on a cloudy day to get some variations. I also took a photograph of my concrete steps with ivy growing across them along with some mold & mildew! 
With a little processing in photoshop nature's works of art are transformed even further.
Here's my first photo for TT.
Leaves against the sky. Changed it to black/white, added a color filter and then layered with Kim's 'aurora' texture
as well as her 'sissy' texture. I love how this photo looks after adding the textures.



























Next photo is another of leaves that I shot looking straight up into the sun. The leaves were much brighter. It was also layered with Kim's 'aurora' & 'sissy' textures. And I also converted it to B & W first.



























Final photo for today's TT is the concrete step with the ivy growing in the creases along with some mold & mildew from the summer humidity. I didn't convert it to B & W, just decreased the saturation and played with hues. I layered it with Kim's 'aurora' texture along with a couple of textures I had in my own files. One is chipped paint and the other is a crusty old book page.
I also rotated the photo. The step is actually oriented with the ivy growing horizontally. This photo of the concrete ended up looking like a gnarly old tree. Don't ya think?



















If you'd like to join in the Texture Tuesday fun just hop over to Kim Klassen's site and jump in!
If you sign up for her textures you can get a freebie every week to play with.
Life's been busy this summer with a flurry of fun with family & friends. Now that it is settling down somewhat I plan to join Kim's Test Kitchen to have even more fun with her textures. I also plan to get down to the jewelry making business once again as well as finish all the fiber art projects laying wait in my studio.
I also want to photograph the gorgeous pieces of fabric that my daughter brough me from Africa as well as photograph the mask and wall art she brought home. It felt like Christmas when she brought home all those goodies!
Live your life creatively~
cathy
kimklassencafe

Comments

Melissa said…
Love this Cathy!!
Rural Revival said…
I like this wabi sabi concept. Nature is a perfect example of impermanence. Great processing!

~Andrea
CATHY said…
I love the first one - so so pretty. It is so much fun to see how different the textures appear on each persons photo. Thanks for stopping my blog - the one with the really loooooong recipe : )
Dyche Designs said…
Love your approach and the appeal of nature. I'm very much the same way. Beautiful images and use of texture.
em said…
Ohhh...I love your edits. I just signed up for her emails, so now I have a couple of different textures to play with. Great job!
Marilyn said…
These are just beautiful. I particularly like the first one. You can really see the texture on it.
Sylvia said…
Thanks for your nice comment, Cathy !
Your photos are gorgeous, they turned out beautifully, love the golden colors !
Lovely wishes,
Sylvia
Thanks so much for your comments everyone!
I really like the leaf pictures, the first two. I like how you layered them. Very artistic!
lisa said…
I think I could love wabi sabi!
Beautiful work on this wonderful photograph.
Thank you so much for linking up this week at The Creative Exchange.

Have a great evening!

lisa.
Kia said…
Over from Kim's TT. I particularly like the first one, so pretty! :)
Beautiful work Cathy! You inspire me!

Popular posts from this blog

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…