Monday, July 25, 2011

Catching My Breath

I'm finally getting a chance to photograph some fabric that I dyed with rust about a month ago. Also some silk ribbons that I dyed with procion dyes back in May.
Our summer has been so full of outings with friends & family, coming & going--nonstop it seems as though I haven't had a moment to relax.
Soooo... this past weekend hubby & I spent it pretending to be couch potatoes. We did do a teensy bit of yard work on Saturday, but other than that we chilled out big time. Better than great, it was FANTASTIC!
Seems as though it recharged my batteries. I was kind of running on empty in regards to creativity. Felt drained of all artsy ideas. Haven't been able to even think about going into the studio to do anything all summer except rust dye that muslin & linen.
Now...after lounging & drooling over all my fiber art, jewelry art & mixed media magazines & books, I feel like I'm ready to jump back into the game of making some art.
I haven't been entirely art free this summer. I have tried to participate in Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday every week that I've been home. Sooooo much fun and relatively simple in terms of pulling out art supplies. All it takes is my camera & computer. Easy, peasy! Plus, I have become addicted to my camera & photoshop making it an absolute essential part of my life!
Now the results of the rust dyeing........
This is unbleached muslin.

The above piece is also muslin.
The process I used this time was to wrap my damp fabric around the rusty metal objects. Then I put them in a bucket.
Each fabric bundle was stacked on top of the other. Then I filled the bucket with enough water to have the fabric bundles fully submerged. Then as a last minute thought, I scrunched up some natural linen that I dampened and mashed that down on top of all the bundles of wrapped metal. I was thinking that all that rusty water might produce some type of dyeing effect on the linen.

This piece to the left is one of the pieces near the top. The ones with the most rusted tones were the bottom bundles. I'm assuming due to the weight as well as more water, since I forgot to keep an eye on the water level and it was HOT outside. I kept the bucket in the garage about a week and a half before I took the fabric out.

This one was wraped very tightly around some metal spikes. I really like the little dots and I have no idea where they came from, unless it was all the small particles of rust that I dumped in the bucket once I filled it with water.

But the ABSOLUTE BEST results were the paper towels! After doing some rust dyeing last fall, I wrapped my wet rusty pieces in paper towels.They've been sitting inside a plastic bag in the garage ever since. Now look at my paper towels!

I just LOVE these pieces. I will definitely find a use for them in a mixed fiber piece. So naturally after removing my rust metals from the fabric I wrapped them back up in new paper towels and stuck them back in their plastic bag until next time. I hope I find some more richly patterned rusty paper towels next time I decide to do some rust dyeing!
Now some more colorful photos for you. Dyed silk ribbons in various sizes to be used with some future projects. Beautiful blues, greens and a little bronze thrown in.

More bronze with some greens and a little yellow/orange added & in the very back is burgundy mixed with orange/red.

Next up is my flaming oranges/reds and some gold, along with a bit of brown.                                    

I'm so excited about these scrumptious colors, I've got to come up with a project that is worthy of them.
Maybe I'll save a few bits to add into a mixed medium weaving that I plan to create in a workshop in Sept.
My needlearts guild starts it's year back up in Sept. & our first workshop is with Kat Allison & Cindy French. They will be teaching a 2 day workshop. One day is bead weaving and one day is multi media weaving. These silk ribbons might be just the thing to add in for the mixed media one! If you live in the Chicago area and would like to take this workshop, go to our website and check it out. We have a limit of 20 students but there is still some space left.
Fully refreshed and armed with some gorgeous silk ribbons, I'm ready to get back into a creative work routine. Next up.....I'm doing some sunprinting on fabrics this week. May as well take advantage of these bright sunny days while we have them!
Until your life creatively~
see ya tomorrow for Texture Tuesday
p.s. just realized I didn't show any of the linen that I topped off the bucket with.....not much happened with it. When I first removed it from the bucket & it was still wet, I was really excited about it because there was a greenish hue surrounding the rusty areas. Kind of like a verdigris color on copper. Sadly, when the fabric dried the verdigris color disappeared : (


Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

OMG I do not know where to begin...the rusty bits are spectacular...I can only imagine what you can develop with the fabulous rusty paper towels. God bless your delightful creations. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

Thanks Mary Helen. HOpefully in the next month or so I will have a project in the works using some of these supplies.

Art Element's May Theme Reveal

This month for the Art Element theme challenge Lesley chose 'tide pools'. SO esciting!! But of course I was excited about last mo...