Skip to main content

Back to Reality...


I have just returned from a FABULOUS vacation in Grand Cayman. It was a beautiful island and a very relaxing vacation. I took hundreds of photos!
Since I was gone last week I was unable to participate in Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday challenge. And I was so busy with packing and getting ready to leave town that I didn't participate the week before we left.
I am delighted that her theme this week is 'Garden Party'. Not only have I been taking lots of photos of
flowers around my yard this spring but while in Grand Cayman we went to the Queen Elizabeth Botanic Gardens there. Obviously, the tropical climate produces much different flowering plants and trees than we have around this 'neck of the woods', so I was in heaven!
I do have to admit that the above photo was taken in my yard several weeks ago. My bleeding heart plants seem to get more beautiful each year. Kim's lovely linen texture is just perfect for making this photo look like a painting! I also used her 'Yesteryear' texture.
















This photo is of a Bird of Paradise
plant. There were many of these in the botanic gardens. There were also many plants that I failed to write down the name of and some that I couldn't find the name tags for, so I'm sorry for not being able to name a few of my blossoms.




The next photo is one of those that I don't have a clue as to the name. So if anyone out there knows, please tell me!
Again on the Bird of Paradise and the flower cluster below I used Kim's 'Linen' texture and on the Bird of Paradise I also used 'Yesteryear'. On the flower cluster below I used 'Not too shabby' in addition to the 'Linen'.


The photo below is an orchid. At the Botanic Garden they had a whole section of orchids growing in their natural habitat. It was unbelievable to see them growing out of trees. There were so many that just seemed to sprout from the trees-no soil necessary, just clumps of orchids using the tree as it's host plant.
No wonder they're so hard to grow indoors in soil/moss. I would definitely prefer to be hanging out in the trees in Grand Cayman too!

































The last photo is of a beautiful water lily at the Botanic Garden. They had several varieties. Again, I've never had much success with growing water lilies, even when we lived in GA where it was much warmer. These were in a small water fountain at the entrance to the garden, but there were many more growing in ponds throughout the botanic gardens and one pond even had a turtle poking it's head up between the water lilies.























Again, I applied Kim's 'Linen' texture to the water lily photo.
I have many more photos of the Botanic Gardens of Grand Cayman as well as pictures of the most amazing sunsets I've ever seen. Will dole them in out a few at a time so I don't overwhelm you.
Tomorrow is wordless Wednesday then maybe I can get back to posting some artwork that I'm working on.....
Until then--
Live your life creatively~
cathy

kimklassencafe

Comments

Georgia Girls said…
All beautiful! What a lovely place to take pictures. Pinks and greens are so beautiful together.
Joy Burkhart said…
Your photos are wonderful, Cathy! Thanks for commenting on mine, too.
XoXoXo
Joy
Hornbill said…
The name of the flower cluster is Bougainvillea.

I am living in Borneo island which is the third largest in the world. The local name for it is ' Bunga Kertas ' which literally means ' Paper Flower '

My email is hornbill2u@ gmail.com

And please visit my blogs ( I have three ) starting with :

hornbill-hornbill.blogspot.com
Your photos take my spirit to another place that is heaven on this Mother Earth. Gorgeous ...thank you. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
Janine said…
Your photos look so enchanting
you have a great talent as a photographer

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

January's Component of the Month-Leather Cabochons

Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month.  That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.

I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…