Skip to main content

Tree of Me...

Tree of me started as part of The Sketchbook Challenge for the month of April. The theme is "Branching out...out on a limb".
I'm also in the midst of doing a 40 Day Baptiste Yoga program about 'transformation'. With the sketchbook theme & the transformation program in mind I sat down to do some sketching. Sketching a tree was a delight since I've become obsessed with
trees, but thinking about 'going out on a limb' and the transformation process caused me to think about how this tree of me 'grows'.
My roots or gounding come from family, friends, yoga & meditation. My roots are also firmly planted in the creative process but for this tree I chose to put the creativity up in the branches (also I ran out of roots). My branches are my personal traits--good & bad. Again,
I chose the ones that popped into my head first
and also the ones that I need to be working on.
My largest branches are 'creativity & procrastination'. Why?...  Because I do believe I am a very creative person (most of the time) but my procrastination tends to over-rule my creativity! Those branches are big & thick. They have quite a few limbs branching off because as my creativity grows so does my procrastination... (note to self-work on the procrastination)
My 'inspiration' branch has many offshoots and lots of new growth because I'm always finding inspiration. I see it everywhere. I look at the clouds and see a painting or a quilt. I look at weeds and want to photograph them. I see rusty objects and pick them up knowing they will be used to dye fabrics and possibly to add to assemblages or even art quilts. I have no lack of inspiration! If anything my system is on overload with ideas & choices.
My branch of 'learning new techniques is an offshoot of the branch 'keeping a journal'. At the time I did this I was thinking that it sort of goes hand-in-hand. I am always gathering new knowledge through workshops & classes or by visiting other artist's blogs and I try to keep a journal of ideas & techniques. Every time I learn a new technique I play around with it in my studio or I doodle in my design book trying it out to see if I can use what I've learned and 'make it my own'.
But here's where the 'not following through' branch comes in...I have a book full of designs but when I go into my studio I get distracted because so many new ideas pop into my head that I hardly EVER use anything in my design book. I go off on another tangent and start a project off the top of my head. Sometimes it turns out better than what's in the sketchbook, sometimes not. That's why those branches don't have many offshoots. I need to grow the techniques I've learned, use my designs and FOLLOW THROUGH!
This brings me to the last 2 branches. The branches at the very bottom. The 'confidence (OR lack of)' branch and the 'taking risks' branch. These are the branches that could use a shot of Miracle Grow.
My confidence needs a big 'ole boost of fertilizer to help me grow a stronger branch and some new limbs. My 'taking risks' branch could use a good shot of nitrogen as well. That's sometimes my downfall.
I love to play with my art supplies and see 'what if' but then I'm so unsure of how it will be accepted that I don't ever show it to anyone.  SO, I need to go out on that limb; that limb of 'taking risks' and use my Miracle Grow to get those branches to push forth new growth. I would hope that if I can get some new growth on the 'confidence' branch that the 'taking risks' branch will follow suit.
Just last week I had to do something that involved my 'confidence' branch. I have a couple of art quilts that will be going out into the world for an exhibit. I was asked to send an artist's statement along.
WELL... I've never really written an artist's statement. Not a REAL one, just a small little blurb that didn't really say anything. I decided it was time to actually submit an artist's statement.
I found many good websites with instructions and samples. The best one I found was on Molly Gordon's website. She takes you through step by step. So I did it! Although my first artist's statement isn't as lengthy or deep as some, I still think it tells my story in a nutshell. So my first step out on the 'confidence' branch was getting that accomplished.  I felt better after having done it, somewhat like a certified artist!
It's just that I  have a hard time puffing myself up and blowing my own horn.
That's where the roots come in. My grounding--my strong base. I am learning to sink my roots deeper so that I can be stronger. Yoga is helping immensely as is meditation. They both bring clarity to my life.
I know through my 40 Day program of transformation that I will have more confidence.
(by the way, this is my second 40 Day program since Jan) I gained so much from the first time around, that I wanted to do it again!
With that said, I think it's time to go meditate and then head into my studio to see 'what if'.
Live your life creatively~
cathy

Comments

Georgia Girls said…
WOW...I'm impressed with how well you know yourself. This is a wonderful mental exercise. Amazing. I don't do too much pondering -- that would be a sickly branch of mine. This year I have the time to "branch out" and embark on new adventures. I feel like a girl gone wild :)
Wow! Beautiful sketch! Such a great exercise in self awarness and getting to know yourself better.
NEEDLEWINGS said…
How very cool! Sounds like something I need to do!
I feel as if i am walking beside you on the beach...your journey is so balanced and peaceful. Peace, Mary Helen
Thanks GA girls, Stephanie, Needlewings & Mary-Helen!

Popular posts from this blog

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…