Skip to main content

Texture Tuesday




kimklassencafe



So here I am again, playing with photoshop. I am quickly becoming addicted to this whole process.
Last week I mentioned that I had a quilt that had a deadline of April 4. Well---that didn't happen!
I realized last Wednesday night that in order to properly finish the quilt that I would never be done by Monday. Rather than rush the process and have the quilt be less than perfect I decided to give up on entering it into that particular exhibit. So I sat and researched what other exhibits & venues might be possible. I found quite a few that might be a good fit, so when I finally finish it, I will enter it somewhere else. I'm not going to pressure myself into finishing it quickly. This thing is going to take some time. And of course right now, I've got other things on my mind! Like playing with photoshop
and working in my journal. I have been wanting to get back to some collaging, sketching, doodling which I haven't been doing for a while because I had been focusing on fiber arts and fabric dyeing & printing. 
Soooooo, I plan to take a few weeks off from the sewing machine and the fabric dyes, to get my hands dirty with some paints, inks and glue. I'm plan to participate in the Sketchbook challenge finally as well as continue with the Texture Tuesday. I also have 3 necklaces that people have ordered from me that need to be made! Hopefully when I can drag myself away from this computer today, I will start on the necklaces and be done with those. 
Those of you who follow me, will also notice that I spent some time the other day working on changing the look of my blog. I felt it needed a lighter color for spring and now that I'm learning so much in photoshop, I also created a new banner from some previous fiber art of mine.

These photos below were created using Kim Klassen's warm sun texture, as well as other textures.
The first one is a fairly recent photo of my orchids. 


I also played around with the hue/saturation. In the original photo the orchids are almost a purplish color.

The next photo is an older photo taken almost 2 years ago. I took it through the window looking out at my neighbor's backyard. The deer were almost perfectly aligned. I couldn't have posed them any better.
I think it was a mom and her child.


Next photo is even older. Taken in 2006 in NY-Central Park. This guy was sitting under a bridge
playing his clarinet. The original photo isn't that great-a little out of focus but I really like it much better after altering it. The lighting in the background and the people/trees almost look painterly.



That's it for my Texture Tuesday. I will now head out to the garage and fire up my torch to make some jewelry!
Will post some photos of my sketchbook as soon as I get to that.
Until then........live your life creatively~
cathy

Comments

McGillicutty said…
love the orchid.. they're my fav. nicely done.
Henrietta said…
I love the orchids shot and the edit, so beautiful:)
Greetings from Finland
Kim Klassen said…
cathy
thank you for linking to texture tuesday and sharing your beautiful photos....

xxo, Kim
Thanks Henrietta & Kim! I'm having so much fun playing with this.
Marilyn said…
Like them all but I have a soft spot for orchids.
Thanks! I love orchids also.
I love the mother and child deer photo as well as the orchids...beauty in a moment remembered. Have a beautiful weekend. Peace, Mary helen Fernandez Stewart
paperbird said…
all so beautiful. i especially love the dear image- the texture makes it look like a sweet vintage painting.
Thanks so much! I was so lucky to capture that shot.
Rural Revival said…
LOVE the photo from Central Park. I love silhouettes and the background is almost Monet like. Great job!

~Andrea~

Popular posts from this blog

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…