Skip to main content

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." John Lennon

So here it is the first day of the last month of the year. I've been busy with not much to show for it lately.
Nothing new in the works as far as mixed media/fiber art since the previous posts. Did finish lots of jewelry which I have finally started adding to my etsy.
Since the fiber show at the Botanic Garden I've been reluctant to start anything new in my studio after I spent THREE WHOLE days cleaning & organizing it. It's ridiculous how messy it was, yet I was quite creative in there. Now, everything is clean and organized and I haven't even been in there except to retrieve needle & thread for a small repair job for my daughter while she was home for Thanksgiving. Oh well, there's always tomorrow!
In the meantime I've been busy 'wasting' my time with the computer. We recently purchased a new Mac
and I've been trying to familiarize myself with it. I had Photoshop Elements 7 for the old PC which of course was ONLY for PC's so I had to buy the newer & much improved Photoshop Elements 9
for the Mac. WOW! It's amazing what it can do. I've been trying to learn how to create different effects
for months now, but for some reason the info just wasn't sinking into my thick head! I've taken a couple of online photoshop courses to learn specific things but what it actually takes is sitting for HOURS at the computer and just playing with it.
Here's a few of my photos I've been 'wasting' my time with lately-

This is a tree taken while driving home from Champaign for Dad's weekend at college. Since  my dear husband was driving at the speed of light the original image was a bit blurred. When altered and layered with several different textures it really doesn't matter that the tree was slightly out of focus.
I really like these textures!


This barn was also taken while driving home. I changed it to black & white for this picture and added a
peeling texture and it really looks like an old photo.
This next picture is the same barn but I left it in color and obviously it was taken from a different angle.
Also, it was layered with a different texture that had some splotches of red paint around the edges which I think look really cool with the red barn.


Next photo is another shot of a tree as we were flying by. This time I wanted to add a spotlight effect.
Looks a little spooky!



Next photo is from my back deck. Last week the pond started to ice over in patches and the ducks look as though they are walking on water. It's so funny to watch them fly in and land on the ice. They slip and slide all over the place. Eventually they get tired of all the sliding and they fly away or finally slip into the areas of the pond that haven't frozen over yet.

I added the same peeling texture that I added to the b & w barn above and it really looks like an ancient photo. I love the shadows of the ducks.

Like John Lennon, I don't consider it wasting time if I'm enjoying what I'm doing. I've also been reading quite a bit. Some fiction, but mostly books on surface designs for fabric. I'm planning to do some more vat dyeing like I learned in a workshop with Barbara Schneider back in Oct. It creates some wonderful effects by removing color and then laying down a new color. I'm currently searching for some new thermofax screens and new stamping tools before I spend a day with my vat dyes. I also am going to use the thermofax screens with discharge past and also try doing some batik dyeing with soy wax as a resist. So you see, I have quite a few plans in the making if I could just drag myself away from this darn computer and photoshop!
Maybe in the next post I'll have a new project to show you.
Live your life creatively~
cathy

Comments

Angie said…
Wow, I'm glad I came across your blog! You are so talented! I love what you did with those pictures. I've gotta get Photoshop sometime and play around with it.
Thanks Angie! It's so much fun playing around with it.
Time consuming, but fun!
Janine said…
Hi Cathy,
i like what you did with the photos, I have some photoprogramms on the PC too, I have to admitt I can´t handly them very good, maybe I should take a workshop too.
I had a little operation in my foot and so I enjoy wasting my time for some weeks now, actually sometimes I´m just sitting here watching the wheels ;0)
Enjoy wasting your time.
Cheers
Janine
Quilt or Dye said…
You are learning to do wonderfully creative things on your computer!
Thank you Dear Janine! Sorry I haven't been to visit your blog lately. Guess I've been too busy 'wasting' time.
Promise to try and be better at blog hopping.
Thanks also to Quilt or Dye!!
I have a difficult time realizing John Lennon has been gone 30 years...no child you have not wasted your time. You are collecting your thoughts and evidence for future works. I wish there was a class nearer to me here. I think I would enjoy learning more. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
Gabriela said…
Hi! I found you through Mary Helen Fernandez blog. I love your pictures and your jewelry is fabulous!
Glad to meet you!
Yes, Mary Helen-hard to believe it's been 30 years since John left this world! Makes me feel really OLD!
Thanks Mary Helen, I'd like to think that I've been gathering inspiration for future projects!
And thanks to you also Gabriela! Glad you found me.
I'll have to come over to visit your blog.
Dear Cathy...I want to apologize for not asking first when I put your wonderful photo up last night... I am usually better at this than last night. I truly admire this image and trust me this was not a waste of your time....this moon is beautiful and touched my soul. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
ravenbird911 said…
Hey this is really cool, I am a huge art fan I have to relate, that I love the whole picture thing. I just got a new camera, but, most of my pixs are really bad. I have to admit and say that you are really good!
Cathy your works are moving all who happen to stop by in their personal journeys...age does have a way of sneaking up on all of us. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
Gabriela is another wonderful artist I adore!

Popular posts from this blog

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…