Skip to main content

A New 'Attitude'


I'm taking a bit of a break from artwork even though I have a show this week that I'm getting ready for-
the Fine Art of Fiber and a holiday expo next week. I know I should be getting price tags done and finishing up my necklaces/bracelets for both shows. Luckily the last art quilt is finished and all my fiber pieces are tagged and ready to go.




I think the fact that I'm taking a break is a 'new beginning' for me. I'm not stressed which normally I would be.
I am attributing that to the fact that I have started going to yoga classes. I originally went for the physical benefits. My lack of any real exercise over the past few years has really made me feel old & sluggish. Plus my back & neck problems had resurfaced and I thought yoga would be a great way to help tone those muscles and stretch out all the kinks.
Boy, does it stretch out those kinks and then some! I've visited 2 different yoga studios in my area and LOVE them both. Hard to decide which I want to stick with. My favorite classes are the HOT yoga classes.  Each instructor is different but so easy going and laid back-telling us to go at our own pace and let our bodies tell us what to do. The whole atmosphere at each class is very calming. We begin and end the sessions with intentions to make ourselves better in all aspects of our lives. We are very focused on breathing and staying 'in the moment' and also of  keeping the 'busyness' of our lives outside the walls of the yoga studio.It's like a combination of yoga, meditation and visualization. All of which is helping re-shape my mind as well as re-shape my body.
At Saturday's yoga class the instructor read us a little essay about  'attitude'  at the end of the class while we were in our final pose, letting our bodies 'melt' into the mat. I'd like to share that with you now:

Attitude
The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude, to me, is more important than
education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...
a home.
The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people act in a certain way. We cannot change
the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one thing we have, and that is our attitude...
I am convinced that life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.
And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes.
by Charles Swindoll



It really resonated with me and I am not only trying to 'be in the moment' and stay focused on what I'm doing
but I'm also trying to change the way I react to the little things in life that normally annoy me or upset me.
I'm hoping to keep at this yoga thing until I'm as flexible as possible! Both physically & mentally.



I will post my final finished art quilt- "Can't See the Forest for the Trees" the next break that I take.
For now I must go and finish my price tags, necklaces, bracelets, etc.
Live your life creatively~
cathy

p.s. all of the above pictures were taken in Wisconsin. a little day trip up to Lake Geneva several weeks ago before the BIG winds came and carried most of the gorgeous leaves away

Comments

Terri Kahrs said…
Hello, my Dear Friend!!! I'm so happy to hear that you're taking care of yourself and as busy as a little bee in your studio! I think of you often. Good luck with your show!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo
Oh Dear Terri! Hope you're having a wonderful Fall. I think of you often also.
hugs right back!
LiBBy said…
Just found you and am lovin" all I see!
smiles
LiBBy
luisa hanh said…
i love your post :X

Popular posts from this blog

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…