Skip to main content

Long Overdue Update


Hard to believe I have not posted an update in over a month! Where DOES the time go?
My time has been spent getting ready for the Fine Art of Fiber exhibit at the Chicago Botanic Garden
the first weekend of November. I submitted 7 pieces of fiber art on my application and ALL 7 were chosen.
Problem is there were TWO pieces that I had not even finished when I submitted the application.
I am also selling jewelry in the boutique gift shop of the show so I've been busy making necklaces & a few bracelets.
I also spent an entire week sitting in the hospital at my husband's bedside. He became ill 2 weeks ago and was admitted to the hospital. It was pretty scary for both of us but after 5 days in the hospital he is back at work and feeling much better. That week took that wind out of my sails so to speak and it took all last week to pull myself back together and get back to work on the fiber art and jewelry.
The above photo is the bottom portion of a mixed media fiber piece that I finished last week (one of the 2 previously unfinished pieces) for the show. Below is the top portion of the piece.

This piece is titled "Coral Garden". It started with a piece of felt that I was just playing around with and needle felted pieces of hand painted silk organza to along with alpaca fibers, dyed silk, silk carrier rods and dyed cheesecloth. As I kept adding fibers it began to look like an underwater scene, more specifically a coral garden. After all the needle felting, I added hand embroidery and beads. Then I painted a mounted canvas and collaged it with painted paper towels and tissue paper, added more paint and oil pastels and ink. I attached the felted piece to the canvas and added more beads and some painted, heat distressed tyvek.
And here is the finished piece.

Here's a few more of my necklaces also:

And a close-up of some of my bird nest pieces. I just love these!
A few more:

I spent a day last week playing with fabric dyeing. I've painted fabrics in the past and I've used good 'ole Rit dye but I've never used fiber reactive dyes before. I'm going to take a class later this week on vat dyeing and I needed to bring some previously fiber reactive dyed fabric to the class. SO, I rolled up my sleeves and
covered my kitchen counters in plastic and dyed some fabrics. It was SO MUCH FUN! I will post some photos of fabrics later. Maybe after the vat dyeing so I can show some before & after photos.

Believe it or not, my intention for the fall was to post something on my blog at least once a week. AND create a new blog specifically for posting items for sale. So far, none of that has happened. So maybe my new year's resolution can be to follow through with this??
Oh well, at least I've been busy creating and that's the important thing.
Now, just one more fiber piece to finish before FAOF!
Live your life creatively~
cathy

Comments

Queen Of Toys said…
Cathy,

Just loooovvve your work especially the jewellery and my favourite is the tear drop pendant. It looks like you had heaps of fun creating. I have watched from a distance but can't help leaving a comment this time. Thanks for the eye candy.

Eliza
Griselda said…
I loooooooove your work, thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comment. I am coming back for more soon, = happy creative day to you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Component of the Month Design Challenge

Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge.
Below is the bed set that I received. The photo doesn't do them justice. The lustrous finish is just gorgeous and those stars on the central bead are brilliant.

I received these beads while I was working on a tuturial for etching brass bullet casings (you can see the dirty fingers in the above photo). As soon as my bullets were etched I knew the brass would look really good with these beads!
So I created a tassel of brass chains and seed beads to dangle from the bullet shell then added the starry bead at the top.
Once I create a pendant whether it's bead embroidered or a tassel type pendant, I am always torn about how to finish the necklace portion off... Of course I knew I would use the other 2 beads but I didn't know whether to use chain or more beads or leather etc etc etc.... Too many choices.
I ended up creating just a short beaded porti…

Art Elements' Component of the Month for February

Jenny hosted this month's Component of the Month over at Art Elements. She created lovely polymer clay hearts that she sculpted with cracks/breaks and then used wire to 'suture' the broken heart back together. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  The green one really spoke to me so I requested a green heart cabochon (below).

 I decided to pair the beautiful green heart with one of Jenny's dryad pendants (below). They are created with ceramic clay and then she adds leaves/berries with polymer clay. I took the liberty of clipping off the wire for hanging (sorry Jenny) so I could use it as a cabochon.
 I already knew that I would create some sort of mixed media background to attach them to once I beaded around them. And of course I fortgot to photograph the cabochons by themselves once they were beaded.
So here they are fully beaded and already attached to my background.
I just love the heart on the tree...Reminiscent of hearts carved into tree trunks with lov…