Skip to main content

Jewelry Update


The very next day after the meltdown of my micro torch I went out and purchased a new one. This time a different brand. I used it exactly 5 days and it just stopped working!!! So I took it back to Home Depot and they gave me a brand new one. Obviously I have some BAD mojo concerning torches! Maybe I'm just having so much fun making these pendants that I'm overworking them.
Oh well, so far the new one is doing fine. I'm not using it for 5 hours straight every single day. I'm giving it some time off.
As you can see by the above photo, I have made quite a few pendants, there are even more that have not been photographed.

Since I decided that using the torch constantly was probably not good for it and the fact that I haven't actually made a necklace out of any of these yet, I decided to take a break from making them and concentrate on
completing a necklace. I also plan to do a few bracelets. But all of these are destined for necklaces right now.

I also played around with etching some copper. These pieces above will be used in various projects.
The largest piece is going to be the cover of a journal, the smaller pieces used for a bracelet or two and then cut some smaller pieces to go into necklaces. I want to etch some brass and nickel as well but ran out of those 2 metals, so I just  used copper. It etched really well, although from this photo it's hard to tell.
Not a very good day for photography today-cloudy & rainy.
But I did take a photo of the first 2 completed necklaces. Here they are:







Now I'm off to my work table to finish more necklaces. Will photograph more later.
Life your life creatively~
cathy

Comments

Terri Kahrs said…
Ohhh, Cathy! I've missed you too, My Darling Friend!!! And just look at what you've been up to! These pendants are gorgeous, and the necklaces are fabulous! You certainly are the Queen of Mixed Media!!! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxox

Popular posts from this blog

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…