Skip to main content

Neural Pathways

It's been a VERY long time since I posted any new work. It's not that I haven't accomplished anything it's just that I'm a real slacker about photographing my work and then taking the time to load the pics and post on my blog.

So here is the piece I did for the yearly project in the needle arts guild that I'm in. The theme was 'Pathways'. I knew about this since September of last year when I joined the guild but you know me-- queen of the procrastinators, so I didn't even start the project until about 2 wks before it was due, which was our April meeting.

I thought long and hard about pathways and considered so many different options.
Pathways can mean so many things. My life has certainly taken me down MANY different paths through the years and I contemplated what I could design for the art quilt that I wanted to create.

It just so happened that the first week in March I was on the phone with a dear old friend and we were discussing her father who is beginning to have some dementia. We both agreed that becoming extremely forgetful was a path we didn't want to go down. But it seems like it's inevitable with the magnitude of people being diagnosed with Alzheimer's nowadays.

March 18 was also the anniversary of my mother passing away. It has been 3 years and her diagnosis was Alzheimer's. This got me thinking about pathways and how I could translate that into art. Then my daughter came home from college and was talking about her physiology class. They just happened to have finished studying about the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.

So all of these little things sent me to the computer to search for images of neural pathways. As I searched for neurons and neural pathways I decided to make it even more meaningful-so I searched for neural pathways of someone with Alzheimer's. Amazingly, there were quite a few images both of the neurofibrillary tangles & plaques as well as images of brain scans.

I decided on a close-up of the neural pathways showing the tangled webs of neurons along with the plaques. These tangles and plaques are the reason for memory loss and decreased brain function in Alzheimer's patients. As the disease progresses areas of the brain start to shrink. This has started me on a quest to do a series of art quilts related to the brain of Alzheimer's. 

Here's a close-up of my project.


Another shot : The tangles are matted up dyed cheesecloth sewn down and the plaques on the mass of tangles is pink angelina fibers.



And here's the full art quilt. The background is commercial fabric that I overdyed to get some variations of grays. I used metallic variegated thread for some of the little neural fibriles.




I have several projects in various stages. Hopefully I will get them photographed and posted before another month goes by.
Although my daughter comes home from college tomorrow for what will probably be her last full summer with us, so I may be playing a lot of hookie from my studio.
live your life creatively~
cathy

Comments

tmstewart said…
I love that piece! The pictures don't do it justice.
Thanks Tracy! I agree I like it much better in person. One day I'm going to learn how to take professional photos.

Popular posts from this blog

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…