Skip to main content

Whatever Happened to the Multi-tasker in ME?

It used to be that I could do 14 things at once. And actually know what was going on.
Well...That was then and this is now. Rather than multi-tasking I should maybe call it dual-tasking. I can handle a few things at a time and that's about it.
Currently I have been focusing mainly on painting, sewing and more sewing and more painting. So forget about blogging, forget about laundry, forget about dishes that need washing, doctor appointments that need to be made and my poor dog barely gets to go outside because I'm so caught up in my feverish frenzy of art-making.

I'm patiently waiting for my daughter to arrive home from college right now. She is gracing us with her presence for 2 nights, then she's off to Florida for spring break. Once upon a time I used to get to go on spring break with her...
Oh well, I've got art to make!
Anyhoo, since I've got a minute or 2 to spare while waiting for her, I thought I would update my poor old blog.
These photos are way overdue in posting.
First up, is Somerset Studio's Jan/Feb issue which a piece of my artwork landed in.
I sent it as a response to Girl Gone Thread Wild's blog back last spring. It was to create a piece to call attention to the devastating murders in Juarez Mexico. So many young girls have been murdered in the past few years and now they are making news again with more senseless murders. The challenge that Monica proposed was called "AdDRESSing the situation". The piece had to incorporate a dress of some sort.
I'm sure I posted a photo of my piece back in the summer before I shipped it off, but here it is again.
I didn't even know it was going to be in that issue. I used to receive a letter or postcard from them telling me my artwork was going to be in a particular issue.
I was so surprised when I opened up the magazine and saw my piece featured prominently on the first page of the article titled "Without Words:AdDRESSing the Situation". WOW! I did the Snoopy dance of joy. It's been a while since I submitted anything for publication and this was pretty cool. Also pretty cool that Somerset
did the article to call attention to the victims in Juarez. Thank you to Monica and to Somerset Studio.

Next items up are the art doll swap that my friend Sandy and I did recently. We usually do a swap once a year or so. We come up with a medium to work in and a theme usually. This time there was no theme, just an art doll that began as a muslin
bendi doll. She sent me the blank doll last year. We changed the deadline a few times I think and then just said 'send it when you finish it'. Her doll arrived at my doorstep in early Jan. just after the Christmas holiday and I was so excited with the outcome that I got busy working to finish my doll for her.
Here is the doll Sandy sent me.
He/she is so wonderful. Lots of textures and I love the bird face she added. The individual feathers are just gorgeous!
I had already started my doll for her, but was stuck on trying to figure out what to do with the head.
It took a while to get all the coats of paperclay on this doll's head, but finally I got it right and was able to paint it and ship it off to Sandy.  Here is the doll I sent her--'Little Miss Susie Sunshine'

Daughter should be here any minute now. I will post many more creations in the next week or so. I've got lots to share.
In the meantime, live your life creatively~
cathy

Comments

Janine said…
I like your artdoll, it´s very cool, or better it is hot ;0)
Cheers
Janine
Terri Kahrs said…
It's been quite a while since I've stopped in to say hello. Love the "new look" Cathy! And congratulations on having your piece published. I DO remember the original post. Can't believe those awesome dolls began with a plain bendi! Can't wait to see more of your work. Hugs, Terri xoxo
thanks so much Janine & Terri!
hugs to you both!

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

January's Component of the Month-Leather Cabochons

Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month.  That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.

I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…