Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Procrastination is, hands down, our favorite form of self-sabotage." Alyce P. Cornyn-Selby

Procrastination... I'm a master at it. I work in a flurry for several days and then I allow myself to fall into old habits. I spend my time thinking and planning what I WANT to do, researching techniques I want to TRY and then I put everything on hold. Can't figure out if I do this because I'm afraid of failure or maybe I'm afraid of success??

However, I did finally finish this small art quilt I started in a workshop back in October with Laura Cater-Woods. It is titled "Driftwood". I used the small piece of driftwood attached to the center as inspiration and sketched the driftwood, made a pattern and used an assortment of dyed silks and a couple of commercial cotton batiks to create it.

Here is a close-up:


After completing the free motion stitching I did add a few beads here and there and of course I added the driftwood with some dyed cheesecloth wrapped around it. I plan to hang it from a piece of driftwood. Currently I don't have an actual piece of driftwood large enough, but I do have a few nice old sticks that I found that might work.

After finishing "Driftwood" I finally completed "Autumn Detritus". This piece morphed from what was just going to be a mixed media painting into more of a mixed media fiber piece. I painted the canvas and kept adding layers of colors and textures. Then realized the paper towels that I had used to sop up the excess paint needed to be used in this piece. I tore the paper towels into irregular shapes and used wonder under to attach them to a piece of felt. I free motion stitched over the paper towels and the felt, then zapped the felt with a heat gun to burn holes and distress the felt. Then I added more paint to the paper towels and felt to blend the two. After that, I added beads then attached this felted/beaded piece to the painted canvas. I also used alpaca fibers, and some heat distressed polyester fabric along with some mesh from a vegetable bag. I also added some twigs to the background.

Here's a couple of close-up shots:


Hindsight is 20/20 and looking at it now, I wish I had made the felt piece much more irregular. It looks like a bean! Should be more like a pile of leaves and rubbish.



I have almost complete another small art quilt that I did while I was supposed to be finishing my project for the guild. I will post that later when I finish sewing on the final pieces.

Hopefully I can force myself to go finish my project for the guild because I have another project that is due by April 15 and it has to be shipped to a gallery in VA which means I need to get it done soon, so that it will make it there in time.

Live your life creatively~ 
cathy

10 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

Cathy, these quilts are EXQUISITE! It's been a while since the last post, but I have to say, these pieces are well worth the wait! Your work just keeps getting better and better. LOVE those luscious layers and the embellishments. And, of course, the color is fabulous. Bravo! Hope you have a lovely Easter! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

Thanks Terri! Happy Easter to you too.

Beth said...

Both pieces are wonderful! I love everything about Driftwood - the colors, the differences in quilting - it's really beautiful!

Janine said...

Great work!
I wish you and your family a happy easter.

Gaby Bee said...

Both quilts are terrific! The colors are fabulous. I wish you a Happy Easter!
Gaby xo

Melissa said...

Cathy your work is amazing!! The colors...the style...the textures...I am just amazed! EverytimeI goandlook again I see something different in the design! Have a wonderful Easter!

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

Thanks BEth, Janine, Gaby & Melissa!
Happy Easter to you all : ))

怡屏怡屏 said...

Hello,這裡真是百看不厭的部落格 .........................................

whymsicalmusings said...

Oh my Cathy this is just so stunning! You have such a gift and I am so glad to be able to see what you create. You inspire me!
XXXOOO
Becky

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

Thank you Becky dear! Hope you're having a restful break from blogging.