Skip to main content

Another Play Date With Bleach

I spent a few hours playing with good old household bleach experimenting with different weight fabrics and different applications. My last play date with bleach is posted here.
This time I decided to play around with a 'resist' in the form of a crocheted doily.
I have lots of these doilies. My grandmother used to crochet them and I've picked up a few in antique stores over the years. They come in handy while working with clay. I use them to lay down on the clay and send it through the slab roller or use a rolling pin to impress the clay with the design of the lace. Very cool results on clay. SO... Here is my first piece with using the doily as a resist on some black cotton.

I actually used Tilex spray instead of chlorox since I wanted to spray over top of the doily. This worked just as well since Tilex's main ingredient is bleach. I sprayed the Tilex pretty heavily and the doily became saturated and actually started to absorb some of the black from the fabric beneath it. I left the doily on the fabric approximately 15 min. Took it to the sink and soaked it in water. Washed then threw in the dryer.
Really should've ironed it but you can still see the lovely kaleidoscope pattern the doily created.
This black cotton discharged to a creamy off-white with touches of blue/green here and there. Really pretty.
Next piece was done the same way but I used 3 small doilies rather than one large one.
Interesting colors and design I think!

Then I grabbed a new batch of black cotton and used rubber bands to crimp at intervals.This cotton discharged to a beautiful rusty orange color.

This next piece was using the same cotton and trying a circular crimping with the rubber bands.

Love it!

Then I tried a piece of black cotton from India that I had and it was almost a faded charcoal rather than black. I used a roller with squares on it to print the design using regular bleach.
The roller randomly sprayed flecks of bleach in areas and I also went back over it twice with the roller so the design is a random checkerboard. This piece discharged to a peachy tan color.

Next fabric I tried was a black cotton twill. I loved the colors I got on the last experiment with the twill and I was hoping for the same rusty golden colors. Not quite the same with this twill but I do like it.

This discharged to more of a salmon/coral color. I used a sponge roller to lay the bleach down in the stripe pattern.

Final piece I tried is a piece of black burlap. Wow! Love the color this discharge to-bright red!
With this piece I used comet gel rather than liquid bleach or the Tilex spray. I just squiggled some gel on, let it sit for maybe 5 min. Rinsed, soaked, washed, dried.

Not sure what I'm going to do with some of these but I have several designs in my sketchbook for using some of my discharged fabrics.

Right now I'm working on a project for the North Suburban Needle Arts Guild. They have an annual project with a theme. This year it's 'Pathways'. The project is due at the guild meeting in April which is 2 wks away. Forever the procrastinator I am now just starting to work on mine. I started sketching the design the first week in March but I've been tweaking it and researching it before actually cutting my first piece of fabric. I'll post it when finished.
I still have several more projects that I just completed but will save those for another day...
Until then- live your life creatively~
cathy

p.s. The blog banner is a piece of fabric I disperse dyed in a workshop I did with Barbara Schneider a few weeks ago. I have a couple more things I disperse dyed in her class I will post in the next few days.

Comments

tmstewart said…
Hi Cathy,
Those doily pieces are so cool. Great results all around. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the guild challenge!
Terri Kahrs said…
So nice to know that you're having fun, Cathy! I do remember the earlier post, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of your latest experiments. LOVE the new header! Hugs, Terri xoxo
Janine said…
Your experiments worked out beautifully.
Have a great week
Janíne

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

January's Component of the Month-Leather Cabochons

Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month.  That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.

I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…