Skip to main content

"Nobody can go back & start a new beginning, but anyone can start today & make a new ending." Maria Robinson

The above quote pretty much sums it up for me. The only problem is that I KEEP starting over and over and over again...

I hope everyone had a great beginning to the New Year. I had a good but uneventful one with a strong commitment to recharging my life. ALL aspects of my life.
I am committed to getting BACK into shape and rediscovering the thinner person that I know resides in my body. Along with getting physically into shape, I am also committed to changing the way I eat. Which is going to be hard, because I LOVE FOOD.
I have gotten WAY off track this holiday season though and I need to get back to a healthier way of eating.

I am also committed to restructuring and reorganizing my life which means getting
my house in shape as well. I'm sure that previous posts have mentioned that this last move really 'kicked my butt' and it shows in the way my house looks. I have never really organized everything. Usually when I unpack my belongings I organize as I put things away. Not with this last move, I just tossed things here & there, hiding them anywhere and everywhere there happened to be a vacant spot. Whether it was in a cabinet, drawer or closet didn't matter, and I really didn't concern myself over whether it even BELONGED in that particular room. Just hurry up and get the boxes unpacked and things put away... Now that we've been in this house a year and a half, it's starting to UNNERVE me, the way things are soooo disorganized.

I have started the new year by organizing my studio. That was the biggest disaster area. I had sewing supplies scattered all about the room, duplicates of so many things. I have so many containers of supplies for doing collages that I realized I'm never going to get around to using half of that stuff. PLUS, as I mentioned in a previous post, I've decided to concentrate more on the fiber arts, rather than on collages. Not leaving the mixed media arena, but just steering more towards fiber.
My studio is now clean, organized, rearranged in a much better way and I even found a vacant wall, albeit small, for a design board for designing quilts!
I'm so excited about my new clean room, that I am now hesitant to even start any new projects. With that said, I am also committed to finishing all the projects I started back in the fall and had to put on hold in order to finish items for the holiday market at the art center where I do ceramics.

The piece below is a mixed media piece I did for the show. The center is a ceramic head, then I beaded around it, the frame is also ceramic. Layered with fabrics onto a painted canvas. (this is the close-up) The name is "What If?"
This is the full view. Color not so good. Note to self:take a photography class geared toward photographing your artwork

This is another mixed media piece-incorporating ceramics, antique wood, etc on painted canvas.


This is the close-up. I love the background on the canvas of this one. It looks like leather. Very deep dark red. The name is "The Measure of Women"
This is another mixed media with another ceramic head that was first beaded then layered with an antique leather book cover and fabric on a painted canvas.
This is the close-up. The name is "Grow a Soul". Got the name for it from the quote that I printed on fabric and used at the bottom. It says "Life is just a chance to grow a soul."

I have a couple more pieces that the pictures turned out horribly, so I'm not posting them. Lucky for me, they didn't sell... So I can photograph them and post later.

I will show you the angels I made for the show.
This one sold the first day of the show.

This one sold BEFORE the show started, while we were setting up.


This one sold the second day of the show.

And this one I sent to my girlfriend for Christmas!

I had one more angel that I forgot to photograph and again, she didn't sell! I've got her hanging on my wall, so I'll photograph her later and post her.

It was a pretty good show. Turn out was not as many as they had last year, but most people come for the functional ceramics. I don't do a lot of functional things.
I prefer to make things to look at and make you smile... Who needs another coffee mug? Besides, I can't seem to make any 2 bowls or mugs the exact same.

I also started my year off with another 2-day workshop sponsored by the North Suburban Needle Arts Guild. It was with the very talented Katie Pasquini Masopust. It was a great workshop and I learned quite a bit about designing. I usually don't start ANY project with ANY set plans. Maybe a general idea in my head but usually nothing on paper. She really helped me see that I can do things differently! And probably get better results. We'll see how that works out.

Next week, I'm taking yet another workshop sponsored by the guild. This one will be with Mary Hettmansperger! I'm so excited! She is multi-talented. I have one of her jewelry books but this workshop is right up my alley-- MIXED MEDIA QUILTS....

I still have my rust dyed pieces to photograph and show you. I have also finished a piece that I have given you glimpses of along the way. I will photograph things whenever we get a SUNNY day here on the northshore of Chicago. It's been gray and gloomy for way too long.

As for my long lost blogging pals...I'm so sorry I have not been around to visit for months. I know I will need at least a week to sit and visit blogs. I'll bet I've missed a ton of  wonderful artwork out there.
Speaking of missing...I even missed my blog anniversary! That's how committed to working out and cleaning up I've been. I regret not chatting with you folks and I promise to stop in soon.
Until then, live your life creatively~

cathy

Comments

Janine said…
Hi Cathy, good you are back. I wondered how you are and I am glad you are doing fine and make such great figures.
They are really wonderfull.
I know soooo exactly when you are talking about the mess after moving.
We moved 4 years ago. The house was very run down, so just lived in a part of it and slowly rebuilded it.
It is not finished yet, but better.
However, big parts of my stuff is still in boxes.I do not even know what exactly.
Sometimes I am searching for things hours, unpaking all that boxes and pack them again. It is horrible.
I can´t wait, till we are finished with the house.
Till then I have to learn my lesson in being patient (LOL).
Have a great week
Hugs
Janine
Terri Kahrs said…
Well, HAPPY NEW Year and NEW YOU, Cathy!!! Wow, it sure was great to hear from you. Sounds like life has been rocking and rolling lately, and that you had a great holiday and a wonderful show too. LOVE the pics of your work -- especially the angels. They're WONderful!!! Thanks for stopping by to visit. You made me smile, as you ALWAYS do!!! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo
Gaby Bee said…
I don't get over to your blog as often as I'd like, but I always adore your art work. Your latest creations are amazing, Cathy. Love especially these angels.
You never cease to amaze me! Enjoyed the visit today! Gaby xo
Alberta said…
Your long lost blogging pals have missed you terribly or, at least, this one has! I cannot believe how incredible your assemblages are and your fiber work. I would give anything to take a class from you, Cathy. I have no idea how to work in ceramics at all, but it is my dream. I'm so glad to see you back here and that the show was a success. Jump over to my blog later today, if you have a chance for a giveaway and tomorrow for a VERY important announcement!

Love,
Kathy
Cathy said…
Thanks so much to all of you- Janine, Terri, Gaby & Kathy! It feels good to be back and communicating with my cyber friends!
Gypsie said…
These are Fabulous! I love them!! Thanks for sharing!! Looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful creations. You are very talented! Peace, love, and light xoox Gypsie

Popular posts from this blog

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…