Skip to main content

'I could not, at any age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. Curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life." Eleanor Roosevelt

I searched for a quote to try and sum up my activities of late and this was the best I could come up with. My life has been quite full lately and my curiosity for learning new things and new techniques never seems to slow down. If anything I probably try to cram too many things in at once. I've been busy as a beaver in my studio at home as well as at the pottery studio for the past month or so.
I joined the North Suburban Needle Arts Guild back in September and have taken TWO workshops which has really jump-started my desire to play around with fabrics and threads. By joining, it allowed me to submit some fiber art for the upcoming Fine Art of Fiber at the Chicago Botanic Gardens this weekend. I am thrilled to be a part of this show. I have never exhibited in a fiber show before so this is a major event for me!
I had mentioned in previous posts that I would start to show some items that I've been working on and I PROMISE I will. BUT, first I want to post the items that will be in the Fine Art of Fiber show this weekend.
These are pieces that I had already completed (thank goodness). Otherwise I never would've had time to create for this show. I'm already thinking about all the possibilities for next year's show.
First photo is one of the very first (actually the second)art quilts I ever made.
It is a layered fiber sandwich as the base and then the ceramic raku heads are mounted on brass mesh and placed on the felt, attaching it down to the fiber sandwich.


These photos don't really do it justice. I need to take a class in photographing artwork! It is really more purple than it looks. This is a close up and the next photo is the full art quilt. Since this is one of my first and one of my favorites, this is only on display at the show and NOT for sale.The title is Purple Haze.



Ok, next item: This is a larger art quilt, done mostly in winter white. Again, lighting was a issue the day I took the photos and the color is not too good.

                                                     
The next photo is a close up of the above. The title is Virginia's Virgin Voyage.

 Next item: I posted this one as I was working on it, so this is a fairly new piece. It's a crazy quilt with vintage image at the center. Title- Abigail Loves Autumn


    This is a close up:

                                          
Final piece for the show: Title is My Flower Garden.The color in this piece looks pretty funky as far as the green goes... Again, these photos are not my best. I should've retaken them.

I realized that I do have these photos on my flickr site as well, probably a bit better. If you click on Fiber Art in the left-hand margin of my blog you can see photos of these in a better light.
I am also getting ready for a Holiday Show & Sale at the ceramic studio where I take classes. I've got several tables and desks piled high in my studio at home with projects for this sale. Most of the work that I will have in this show will be using ceramic pieces I've made and incorporating them into other works of art.
Similar to my first art quilt above with the raku heads.
I will post those items as I finish them along with the projects from the 2 workshops I did at the guild. Believe me when I say that there is NO available space in my studio at home to set anything down. I have worked myself into a corner
with all these projects going on at once. And to top it off I started an online
digital photo manipulation workshop today with the lovely and talented Susan Tuttle.
A wonderful class if you're photoshop illiterate like me! I've already fallen in love with altering photos and I've only done 2 pictures so far. You can check those out at my flickr.
As soon as I have a moment to breath, I will be by your blogs for a visit.
And I promise to post the art that has been consuming my time ASAP.
Until then...live your life creatively & to the fullest~

Comments

Terri Kahrs said…
Whew!!! I'm exhausted just from reading about all of your projects, Cathy!!! Good for you!!! I am absolutely thrilled and delighted to hear about your workshops at the Guild and the upcoming fiber arts show this weekend. It's ALL fabulous news! I'm so happy to hear that everyone will have a chance to enjoy your exquisite art quilts. They are ALL so beautiful!!! Good Luck, Dear Friend!!! Enjoy your moment in the sun - it's so nice to hear the joy and happiness in your "voice"! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo
Hayley Egan said…
Wow this is all so impressive.... I have textiles envy. Glad you've been busy and industrious. It's the best way to be! XX
Janine said…
That is phantastic. You are such a creativ lady.
Your quilts are outstanding.
Have a great weekend
Janine
Hello Cathy,

Oh, I'm so glad the brooch arrived and that you like it...when I started it I had no idea where it was going...seems to be a normal thing with me..hehe :0) I had even thought it would look good attached to a curtain or some other home decor item.

Thanks so much for dropping by my blog..now I know how to keep up with you...your art is so pretty and totally out of the box as I put it...just the way I prefer it. :0)

Scatter Bliss,
Stephanie
Cathy said…
Thanks Terri, Hayley, Janine and Stephanie!
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.
Beth said…
Love the quilts, especially the colors in My Flower Garden. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Cathy said…
Thanks Beth! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Sorry I've not been checking my blog very much lately.
cat said…
Your art quilts are amazing, but Purple Haze is my favorite! The colors and the raku heads Rock!

Popular posts from this blog

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…