Skip to main content

Back to School/Back to My Life


Forever the procrastinator, I am finally posting about Crusade No. 33 which is due by Oct. 1... Oh well,
I guess I've just been busy learning new things.
I haven't posted anything since early Sept. and that post was dedicated to one of my 'learning' experiences-
a fiber workshop with Jeanne Beck.  I had been wanting to join a group of artists in my area and I found
a fabulous group--the North Suburban Needle Arts Guild. I joined in early Sept and did the workshop they sponsored the very next day. Talk about jumping in head first! I loved the workshop and learned quite a bit about painting and layering on fabrics. I'm busy playing around in my studio with some projects which I will post later.
At the beginning of this year I began a wheel thrown pottery class and have been enjoying a love/hate relationship with it. I have done handbuilding for several years but wheel thrown is a whole different animal.
Patience, patience and more patience. I wasn't sure if I was going to continue but I decided to push ahead
with this wheel thrown class and keep learning. Next week I will attempt a vessel WITH a lid! Something I have never made before. So the schooling continues...
My art is a scattered mix of many mediums and I keep saying I need to focus on one thing but I REALLY enjoy mixing it up and combining many different forms. SO...I will continue to work on the things that I love
but will focus on taking things to a different level than before and keep pushing the button that says--WHAT IF....
I have recently read the book 'Eat, Pray, Love'. I just love that book. I want to visit Italy, India and Bali now.
But most importantly I want to do some research on sanskrit and somehow incorporate that into my art.
Maybe a series on ancient sanskrit along with some artwork interpreting chakras... hmmmm. Things to think about...
I also want to take a class on photoshop! I keep playing around with it myself but usually end up pulling my hair out, so I think I'll pay to take a quick workshop on layering and digital collage.
As far as the rest of my life goes... I told my hubby to get ready because I'm signing us up for dance lessons.
We have always loved to dance but I feel like lessons would be such fun. Especially after watching a few of the  'Dancing With the Stars' episodes. Learning the samba or the tango... Wow! Or just improving on the way we already dance would be a good start. I'll let you know how the dancing goes.
So September has come and almost gone but it was a full month for me. I even cleaned out and reorganized my studio so I could find things and actually have space to work. With the cooler, crisp air that has been hanging around all week, I find that I want to spend more and more time working in my studio.
Can't wait to get started on the research for my new projects, as well as finish up the pieces I'm already working on .
I will keep you posted on my journey of learning new things. I also will carve out some time to visit my blog friends, who I've neglected in the past few weeks.
As always, live your life creatively~

Comments

michelle ward said…
Cathy - thanks for coming to play in the crusade. Sounds like you have been busy! But most importantly I can hear the enthusiasm in your words, and that you are eager to keep moving forward in many areas, in and out of the studio. It's all good!
Angelique said…
Hi Cathy,

It's Angelique(the Artist date girl)Your blog is so cool. Thanks for your kind remarks and wishes. Sista, you sound like a kindred brain. I think the style should be called rainbow sprinkles!!!! LOL we like to try a little bit of everything. Funny enough I am reading the book, Eat.Pray.Love. Her honesty cracks me up. Now I say to who said we can't play with it all? Best wishes and blessings to you on the journey. I'll be relishing it from Pa. LOL

Angelique
sfauthor said…
Nice posting. Do you know about these Sanskrit books?

http://www.YogaVidya.com/freepdfs.html
Terri Kahrs said…
Ohhhhh, Cathy! I love that you "mix it up"! It makes you who you are and makes your work "sing" with creativity!

Have fun with the dancing lessons AND the digital lessons too. I think once you get the "hang" of working in layers, you'll LOVE it! (There will be a little cursing and pulling of hair in the beginning, but well worth it!!!)

We're finally back from vacation. It's so nice to be home, but it's going to take a few days to get back into the swing of things. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo
Cathy said…
Thanks Michelle, Angelique, Terri and sfauthor!
Angelique I look forward to hearing more about your journey as well.
SFauthor, thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out. Researching sanskrit will be my task for the next month or so.
Terri, I'm so glad you're back from your vacation. I trust you had a blast with your family and celebrating birthdays! I'll pop over to visit your blog.
And last but not least..
Michelle, you're an inspiration to us all.
I'm regretful that I havent participated in
earlier crusades but I feel certain that I
will be joining in more of them.
Julie said…
WOW What a great post..I love how you not only learn yourself..but how you are taking your husband a long for the ride!

have a great weekend!

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

January's Component of the Month-Leather Cabochons

Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month.  That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.

I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…