Skip to main content

I'm Back and Ready to Go!

I just wanted to let you know I'm still alive and kicking as they say! It's been a fun-filled summer and although it isn't over, I feel like it is in a sense because my daughter is back at college. It's a bittersweet time...I'm sad that she's gone- we had a great summer. I didn't do much in the way of art this summer but I did manage to get to the pottery studio once a week. Will show you some pieces when I pick up the finished products and I'm even going to post some for sale on etsy.

Now that my daughter is gone I'm ready to go back to work in my studio. Ready to finish all the projects that I put on hold for the summer. Ready to finish the art that I promised to Marsha, Terri and Becky when they were the winners of my giveaway
several months ago. Ready to get back to my exercise/diet plan. Ready to get serious about selling my art on etsy and at a few galleries around here. I'm just plain ready to start a new phase of my life! Period!

I'm ready to begin what I had mapped out for myself when my daughter started college LAST year! The only difference this year is that I'm not employed outside the home.
I made the fatal mistake of thinking I could hold down a part-time job AND concentrate on expanding my talents. Once-upon-a-time I was really great at multi-tasking and running at full speed from sun-up to sun-down. BUT then age kicked in and I don't do as well as I used to. I find I can't do 14 things at once anymore, at least not do them well. SO, my plan for MY LIFE when my child went away to college was to hunker down in my studio and create some GREAT art! Or at the very least, create regularly in hopes that eventually my art would progress to the point of
me feeling really GOOD about it!

Last year, the day before my daughter left for college I casually asked the office manager of the equine vet at the barn where are horse was boarded if she could use some OCCASIONAL help since my daughter was leaving and I thought I'd be soooo LOST without her that a part-time job would help me get over it. The office manager was so happy I asked she hugged me and said "YES!When can you start?" That was a Wed. We took my daughter to school the very next day and I started working on the following Monday. My hours were 12-5pm EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK! Not exactly my idea of occasional work. But I knew the office manager wanted me to get familiar with everything since she was taking a vacation 4 weeks after I started. She needed me to cover for her full time during her vacation, so I figured I could endure 12-5 until she left and then full time while she was away. MY plan was to cut back to 2-3 days a week when she got back.

WELL--- the week after I started work, the office manager QUIT! Which left me and another part-time girl to cover the office. Supposedly we only had to do this for a short period of time--until the vet could hire a new office manager. OK, I could do this for a little while. Meanwhile, my art studio is sitting with boxes of supplies
which I hadn't even finished unpacking from our move. My plan was to do a little
each day to get things organized enough to start doing some art every morning before going to work.... hahaha ....What was I thinking? By the time I got up, did some minimal housework, finished unpacking all the other household belongings, hung pictures (since we'd just moved in) organized cabinets, took the dog for a walk, took a shower, got dressed for work, packed my lunch...I had NO TIME FOR ART.
When I got home at night, it was dinner, clean the kitchen and collapse on the sofa until bedtime. So, again, no ART!
This little scenario went on for several months with my asking the vet WHEN he planned on hiring someone. I told him this WAS NOT what I had in mind when I came to work there. He was so delighted with my work that he offered me the office manager's
position and I said, uh NO!

Long story, short...he finally hired someone in DECEMBER. So I worked an average of 30 hours a week for 4 months, and managed to produce 2 pieces of artwork during that entire time. I handed in my resignation the week the new office manager started work!
They begged me to stay, but I said only if you need me ONE DAY PER WEEK. That didn't suit them for some reason! So I left the week before Christmas when my daughter came home for her winter break. I had a delightful holiday.

It was January when I threw myself into my artwork, and it was also January that I started this blog! It has changed my life and my outlook on my artwork in general.
I worked very diligently on my art January, February and March. I spent most of April not feeling well, then May we packed up my daughter brought her home, went on vacation and I have been in a vacation frame of mind ever since!
SO, as the title says---I'M BACK AND READY TO GO!

I would like to apologize to my many friends whom I haven't visited regularly.
I am going to attempt to rectify that. I will spend the next few days catching up
with you, as well as cleaning my studio so that I can actually produce some artwork.

Since I've done nothing creative lately, I'm posting a picture of my daughter.
Riding the horse we leased for the summer. It was her last ride before leaving for school. (I KNOW... she doesn't have a helmet on..she wasn't jumping that day, just a simple trot/canter, so I allowed it)
I love the way her ponytail is flying in the wind behind her. This photo conjures up the word 'freedom'. I don't ride horses but it looks like it's an exhilarating experience, very freeing. What do you think? What does the photo make you think of?



Have a great week~

Comments

Janine said…
Dear Cathy,
the photo makes me think of youth.
Of having all possibilities in live and (as you said)of freedom.
And the reality is, that time is running fast and that life is what happens, while we make other plans.
I´m glad for you, that you want to spend more time with your art.
The recent bra-artwork was phantastic and I´m looking foreward to see more of your work.
Have a lovely day
Janine
Cathy said…
Dear Janine, thank you so much! It's so true that life is what happens while you're busy making plans.
I don't regret taking time off this summer to spend with my daughter as I know that our time together is fleeting and she will be off on her own very quickly. But I do feel like I lost so much time over the summer and I feel like I need to work overtime to catch up.
I'll start posting artwork very soon.
Terri Kahrs said…
No need to apologize, Cathy! I'm SO happy to hear that you've enjoyed your summer and your sweet time with your daughter. (BTW - Awesome capture! It's full of life and joy and the exhilaration of youth. Fabulous!)

Take your time coming back into the pool. You've waited a long time for the opportunity to express the creativity that's been buried in your soul. Savor each sweet moment of discovery. Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo
Trish said…
Thanks so much for your comment on my doodle:) I look forward to browsing through your blog!!
I loved reading your story, Cathy! Wow, what a busy life you have had and I admire you for working and for not working too! I think about it at least once a week, but my dear hubby (who met me in art school) pooh poohs it for now. I'm very lucky. Anyway, many of us go through phases where blogging just doesn't fit, so know that you never need to apologize for living a full life with lots of stuff in it to do. Your blog and friends will always be here. I agree with Terri, concentrate on what you WANT (like make a ton of art!) to do and the rest will fall into place. There are no deadlines, remember!

Love the picture of your daughter! Beautiful!
Cathy said…
Thanks Marsha! I love hearing your feedback. I will do just that--concentrate on what I love!

Popular posts from this blog

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…