Thursday, July 2, 2009

aDRESSing the Situation...

I just finally got a piece of artwork in the mail heading to Stampington & Co. for a wonderful cause...the Women of Juarez. The very caring and compassionate Monica Magness posted the photo below with a call to artists all over the world to create a "dress" to call attention to the situation in Juarez Mexico. There have been hundreds of women murdered since 1993. There are also hundreds still missing.
It seems the local authorities are doing very little in solving these murders or in
finding the missing women. Most of the victims have been girls in their teens and early 20's.
As soon as I read about this on her delightful blog I knew I wanted to do something.
Everyone who created a dress is shipping their's to Stampington NOW. Hopefully when
they are bombarded with all the wonderful dresses that have been created they will
do an article to call even more attention to the situation.



Below is my submission. I gave it a lot of thought over the past couple months
since I first read about it. I was torn about what direction to go. Ever the procrastinator, I still had not started my piece on Monday June 29. She wanted us to
mail them out on July 1st! HELLO? Could you wait a little longer next time?
I grabbed a canvas Monday afternoon and threw some black gesso on, not knowing exactly what I was going to do. Then when I went back to it, I decided on a graffiti
type dress to hang on a pink cross.


When I researched the murders of Juarez, I found many photos of pink crosses with the victims pictures on the crosses. Hence, the pink cross.




If you would like to see all the other wonderful artwork created for this, there is
a flickr site. Just click here.

25 comments:

deb did it said...

stunning piece! sometimes we do our best creations under pressure!! BRAVO!

Cathy Mendola said...

Thanks Deb! I tend to wait until the last minute, sometimes it works sometimes not!

Terri Kahrs said...

Cathy, this is a lovely and very thoughtful piece. I'm off to check on the flickr site. Hugs, Terri xoxo

Cathy Mendola said...

Thanks Terri, Have a wonderful weekend!
hugs!!

Sabii Wabii said...

Great job Cathy. It's such an important cause to bring awareness too.

Cathy Mendola said...

Thanks Terisa! I think it's an important cause also. Hopefully we will be able to bring a bit more awareness to the situation.

cat said...

Nice piece Cathy!
I remember in my younger days when the family would venture over into Juarez and the place was just a buzzing with people everywhere and now a frind of mine goes down there to teach at their university and she said it is a ghost town. There is a curfew and those who wonder out do it at their own risk. The drug cartel has moved and too many people are dying daily.
Thanks for your support and for caring!

Cathy said...

Thanks Carla! It's such a shame that nothing is being done about these poor girls/women. I hope we can at least call some attention to it.

Lynn said...

Hi Cathy, thank you so much for visiting my blog and your lovely comment :) Thank you also for bringing this cause to my attention, if I had not visited today I would never have known about it. Your artwork is amazing and very thought provoking, I do hope Somerset can bring more attention to this.
I will have to go and read more about it now.

Cathy said...

Thanks Lynn for your comments! I do hope we are able to bring some attention to it.

rochambeau said...

Cathy, thank you for a beautiful post and thought provoking dress honoring the woman of Juarez!

Constance

Cathy said...

thank you Constance for stopping by and commenting. I will come over and visit your blog as well.
cathy

Alberta and Ava said...

This piece is incredibly moving, Cathy. I can't wait to see the other art on Flickr created for this cause. I have an award for you on my blog, when you have time to visit.

Love,
Alberta

Alberta and Ava said...

This piece is incredibly moving, Cathy. I can't wait to see the other art on Flickr created for this cause. I have an award for you on my blog, when you have time to visit.

Love,
Alberta

sgaynor said...

Powerful! What a fantastic a good cause. Love the name of your blog and I'm so happy to have connected via the wide net!

Cathy said...

Thanks so much Alberta! I will stop by soon for a blog visit. I've been a slacker about it lately. Those ole
lazy days of summer...
Thanks to you also Sheri. I'm so glad I found your CA network!

Poetic Artist said...

This piece is wonderful..I think her ideal was so heart filled.
Katelen

Maureen L White said...

Cathy, this is a powerful post. I also love your Pink dress that you submitted. Indeed this is worthy and heart rendering cause.
Maureen

Cathy said...

Thanks Katelen and Maureen!
I hope that we are able to make some small difference if only to call more attention to this devastating
news.

Tammy said...

Hi Cathy,
Great Creation, it speaks volumes..
WIsh you the best, I am sure it will do well..
Many Hugs
Tammy

Pursuing Art... said...

Hi Cathy...the dress you turned out at the *last minute* is amazing! You gave the beautiful souls a voice with your wonderful art piece. I hope they decide to address this horrifying situation and share the heart art!

It was a challenge for me, but it's the effort from the heart that counts. It did my heart well by doing and saying something.

We must be about the same age, because I remember everyone wanting Farrah's hair, including myself, and every guy I knew had her poster in their bedroom! ;-)

I see you enjoy gardening and nature like I do...your photos are great!

Take care...~Lisa ;-)

sarah said...

what a great cause, i wish I had found your blog sooner... but i'm hoping you guys get your spread in Stampinton

Cathy said...

thanks so much for leaving comments
Tammy, Lisa and Sarah!
I will be by for a visit at your place soon: )

House of Hullabaloo said...

How beautifully moving! It is perfect for the cause!

Cathy said...

Thanks Lisa! WE hope it makes a small difference.