Skip to main content

Prepping for VACATION!

Sorry I've been so out of touch lately. As I said in the last post, I've been dealing with some minor health issues, plus dear daughter had to be brought home from college. The amount of STUFF took 2 days to go through just so we could
get the car in the garage. We just dumped everything from the car into one side of the garage and then the car wouldn't fit! So what happens?
She packs up before the STUFF gets unpacked and put away and she leaves for GA. So who does that leave to sort through and put the STUFF away? Dear ole mom...
When I finished with that I realized we are taking off for FL TOMORROW MORNING and I really need to start thinking about what I need to do before take-off.
Lists, lists, lists... Almost done packing and in between all the to-do lists I've managed to play around with a few art supplies.
This piece is a 9 x 12 canvas that I created a background and love the background so much I'm having a hard time figuring out if I even want to add anything. Although it's such a underwater-y feel to it that I'm seeing a mermaid? What do you think?
Was thinking of painting one, but then the thought occured to me that a metal one might look really good. Especially with the rusty looking drips in the background.
Incidentally, this background is paper towels that I used to blot another project and then dried them, tore them up, glued them down and then used more paint and ink washes over them. I really, really love the texture and colors.
Once I'm back from the beach, I'll decide where to take this piece, artistically speaking.

Next little project was to make something for the 3 grandchildren who will be
with us in FL. I have one grandson and 2 granddaughters.I decided I wanted to play around with some dye. But I really hate all the steps that go along with dyes so I settled on setacolor paints. They can be thinned down and used somewhat like a dye. I've used dyna-flow which is already thinned down but never used setacolor. I think I like it quite a bit.
So the kids are getting cute little beachy clothes to wear.
Grandson gets this shirt, although I have since added dolphins to the bottom of the shirt. I used lumiere paint and chunky fabric stamps. I will take a photo of him wearing it and post when I get home.


Granddaughters get these little dresses.
Since photographing them while they were drying in the sun on my picnic table
(which I got paint on and hubby was not too happy about, although he laughed, cuz he knows me and my sloppiness)I have gone back with more of the blue and turquoise colors to try and tone down the yellow. Who knew the yellow would get so much brighter as it dried. On the t-shirt it was fine but the crocheted part of the dresses was almost a neon. So they look more green on top and I also added some
seahorses to the bottom of their dresses with lumiere and chunky stamps.
Again, I'll post photos with the little girls modeling them.


Next project was to make myself a couple of beachy necklaces. This is one that I've re-done about 3 times over the years. I keep changing the beads used in the necklace.
One year it was just 2 strands then I reduced it to a single strand, now that it's 3 strands and I used mostly pearls this time,I think this is my favorite.



This one is made using the pendant I made while away for the girl's weekend.
My dear art friend Sandy showed me how to solder with a torch and I made the pendant with her and I posted it in a previous post. Now I can actually wear it as a necklace. I wanted something a little asymmetrical and different. I think I like it,
although it's possible it may go through a couple of changes like the previous necklace.

Well, that's about all I've done this week, other than take care of the pile of dear daughter's STUFF which I didn't photograph. I have also planted some flowers in the yard, dealt with tons of paperwork (because we have FINALLY sold the house in GA!!!),been for bloodwork and an MRI, plus I treated myself to a manicure & pedicure this morning.
So,other than throw a few more things into the suitcase I think I might be
ready for a much needed vacation with my family!
I will try to visit a few more of you before I take off. If I don't pop in to say so long, then I'll drop by when I return- May 31!
Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend everyone.
Live your life creatively~

Comments

Terri Kahrs said…
Dear, Sweet, Cathy! Have a wonderful, relaxing vacation! You may have been dealing with your daughter's return from school, etc.; however, you managed to create some wonderful things!!!

Love, love, looooove all of the things you made for your grandbabies!!! I can just seem them romping around on the beach, squealing with delight and looking ever so chic thanks to their Grammy!!! And Grammy's going to be looking pretty chic too wearing all of her wonderful bling!

Looks like you were in a turquoise state of mind!!! Am loving the texture of the art in progress. I, too, think the rusty, drippy things are awesome! Can't wait to see what develops! Mermaid, sea creatures, beaded wonders?!? I'm sure your Muse will whisper something special.

Have a wonderful, wonderful time! Hugs, Terri xoxoxo
Alberta and Ava said…
Your children are so lucky to be blessed with a mother who not only has such a kind, positive, beautiful spirit, but one who can create beautiful things from her loving heart. I adore the background you painted, especially because it's made of paper towels, and I can't wait to see how you use it. have a lovely trip to the beach!

Love,
Al
Janine said…
Dear Cathy,
You are a grandmom?
I can´t believe that! You look sooo young. WOW!
I bet you are the coolest grandma in town. How I love the dresses and shirt you made for your grandchildren. They will look like prince and princes of the sea.
Enjoy your vacation.
Have a lovely weekend
Janine
Chrisy said…
Wow girl you're sooo productive! Particularly like those little dresses...Hope you have a lovely holiday...
Janine said…
YOU WON MY GIVEAWAY!
Janine said…
Hallo again.
I hope you liked the surprise.
The little painting is parceled and is waiting for somebody who brings it to the postoffice (cause I can´t).
I hope you won´t have to wait to long.
Have a good start to the week
Janine
Cathy Mendola said…
Thanks to you all who commented. Sorry I didn't see your's Terri before I took off.
I had a great time and will post photos soon.
THANKS to Janine for picking my name out as the Winner of her giveaway!
Ailurophile said…
Have a great trip. What wonderful stuff you made for your grandchildren. They are indeed very fortunate and blessed to have you :)

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

January's Component of the Month-Leather Cabochons

Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month.  That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.

I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…