Skip to main content

Laughter is the BEST Medicine

I just spent the best weekend with my old girlfriends from high school!
We had such a great time reminiscing and laughing. We must have laughed from the time we got there Friday until we left on Sunday. We went to bed laughing and we got up laughing. I haven't laughed so much in so long. It was just fantastic. My sides were aching from laughter as well as my face. At times the laughter was so intense that we were crying.
Amazing what laughter can do to the soul. It was like a breath of fresh air cleansing the body. I really needed that camaraderie and the relaxation that accompanied it!
Getting together with people who have known you for years and were such a huge part of your life during those trying teenage years is so much fun! They know you like no one else does. Even though some of us haven't stayed in constant contact through the years it was as if those years had never separated us. We picked right up where we left off those many years ago.

Above is my friend's fabulous lake house. The girl in the lower right corner (Debbie) is walking towards the dock on the lake.
We spent most of our time on the deck and on the huge screen porch. Below is a photo from Friday afternoon. We started the weekend off with looking at photo albums from our high school days and our high school yearbooks. That's when the laughter all started : )

As the night wore on and we had a few beverages, we broke out the music and started to dance! I believe these girls are dancing to Motown hits at this point.

I'm sure you noticed the hats. One of the girls crocheted them all for us. Since it was the weekend of the Kentucky Derby we had to have hats for Saturday's race. We placed some bets and watched it on TV, with our hats on of course. But we also wore the hats all Friday night and pretty much most of Saturday. She made all of the hats different. We loved those hats.

I was also able to visit with my brother and his family as well as my dear 86 yr old aunt and my cousin and his wife. I even stopped by to see the doctor that I worked for for so many years.
I spent most of Monday with my dear 'art buddy' Sandy. She had a fabulous time at Art & Soul. I got to see all her beautiful projects she created in the classes she took. We had a blast playing with all her art supplies.
In the short time I was able to spend with her, we made a book with blank pages that I plan to use as a journal of sorts. (will post photos of these later)We also made a soldered metal pendant for a necklace and even created a piece of faux embossed metal for possibly another pendant.
I feel renewed & revived. Ready to jump back in to my art studio and get some work done. Like always though, when I spend time with Sandy she jumpstarts my creative juices to the point that I'm ready to go off on some new projects rather than finish up the one's I had already started.
Of course I spent most of today unpacking, washing clothes, catching up on phone calls and emails. So the studio awaits!
I also haven't visited any of my friends out there in blogland. I promise I will be there tomorrow to see what I've missed.
For now, I think I'm going to bed early so I can wake up ready to go!
Live your life creatively and don't forget to laugh~
c

Comments

Terri Kahrs said…
Cathy, I'm SO happy to hear that you had a wonderful time. My smile got larger and larger as I read your post. Nothing like old friends for a good laugh and a good time. Sounds like you've recalled and have made many happy memories this weekend! Welcome back! Hugs xoxoxo
Cathy Mendola said…
Thanks Terri! As much fun as I had, it's still good to be home and ready to get some work done.
xoxo
cathy
Alberta and Ava said…
It sounds like a perfectly heavenly weekend, Cathy. Makes me wish I'd gome to high school with y'all! I am really looking forward to seeing those journal pages too.

Love,
Alberta
Cathy How grand a weekend with the girls! thank you for sharing. It looks wonderful:)
I agree Laughter truly is the best medicine!
XXX
Becky
It sounds like such a wonderful weekend and I'm so glad you got to have all of that fun with dear friends! It looks like a blast and it looks like you're my kinda gals! You packed a lot in just a very short time! I loved reading every detail!

If I don't get back this weekend, Happy Mother's Day!

marsha
Gaby Bee said…
It sounds like you had a fabulous weekend with your girls!
Can't wait to see your journal pages :-)
Gaby xo
Cathy Mendola said…
Thank you all for the lovely comments. I'm still
laughing about the weekend with the girls.
Still acclimating to being home and getting my
'chores' done so I still haven't gotten any artwork done! I will however, post what I made with my buddy Sandy tomorrow.
If I haven't visited your blogs trust me, I will
ASAP!
Hayley Egan said…
I'm laughing just looking at you all! (in a good way) you seem totally blissed out. Thanks for your sweet comments and encouragement. X
Cathy Mendola said…
I laugh every time I look at the photos from the weekend also! And every now and then I happen to remember something we said or did and I chuckle to myself. Ahhh! sweet memories...
Thanks Hayley, have a great weekend.
vintagepix said…
Always fun to catch up with old friends and find you're still in synch after all those years :D
Cathy Mendola said…
most definitely Carolyn! it was as though we just picked up right where we left off the last time we were together!

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

January's Component of the Month-Leather Cabochons

Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month.  That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.

I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…