Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Which Way is UP??


Most days I'm asking myself that question...which way is up?...Which way do I go?...And where am I going? I usually end up going in circles.
NOW, I'm asking you guys to tell me--Which way is up with this painting...
I did this painting week before last after I found out that someone wanted to buy our horse.I knew we should sell her but I love her and my daughter really loves her so it was a tough decision. Lately when I'm frustrated I drop whatever art thing I'm working on and grab a canvas and started slopping paint all over it. Makes me feel alot better.Especially if I'm not trying to 'make' anything. Just globbing on paint randomly and wildly. This painting evolved over several days. The first layer was done with my fingers..that's right, as in finger painting. And it felt wonderful.
Wasn't excited about the outcome but the process felt good.
So the above/below painting is the final outcome.
The original title due to my emotions over the horse was "My Soul Bleeds", then I decided to rename it "Emotions Run Deep".
NOW my dilemma is when I was photographing it (with the old crappy camera whose battery is held in with a rubber band!) I photographed it upside down and I REALLY
LIKE IT BETTER! See below.. Now I'm thinking the title should be "Red Sky at Night".
Let me know your opinions.
I guess depending on the mood I can switch the painting back and forth on the wall.
It's versatile!



Live creatively!
cathy

13 comments:

Hayley Egan said...

I don't know it the comment i just sent worked.
Anyway, it said:
This is my favourite piece of yours, Cathy.
I'd keep it the original way up. That is because when I glanced at the post I thought that would have been the title, and I thought that would have been the title because I was sure that the rings were hot air ballons, and the red clouds were a reflection in a lake. I think this piece is absolutely stunning. X

Cathy Mendola said...

Thanks Hayley! And that does sound like a great title. Hot air ballons, huh? My original thought after seeing them was that they represented my husband, daughter and myself drifting through life. All the deep emotions down below... Wow, that sounds a little DEEP
and maybe depressing?
Anyway, thanks so much. Your opinion means alot!

Shelly said...

Hi Cathy! I saw your comment on my blog the other day, and I'm finally getting around to visiting your blog. Loved looking around your blog and seeing your artwork! I recognized several of the artists in your blogs you read list (including Marsha, of course... that lady is connecting the world, I tell ya!), but I saw some new ones that I'll have to check out too! Hope you're having a great April Fools Day and that no one managed to fool you! (So far, I've made it through the day safely.) :)

Take care!
Shelly

whymsicalmusings said...

OOO another Masterpiece Cathy! I really can't wait to see what you put on zazzle. It is free and so much fun to create products! You can't beat free. If nothing sells who cares. You make a percentage of the cost is all but NO FEES! JUST Fun and a way to get your artwork out there.
SENDING YOU A BIG HUG
Becky

Cathy Mendola said...

Thanks Shelly & Becky!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

I love it either way! This concept intrigues me. Maybe I will make an upside down piece today. I did turn my latest on her side a bit. See? You're so inspiring!

cherylstrait said...

Hi Cathy,
I just wanted to pop in and say hello, what an intriguing painting, I have to say I really liked the color textures and abstract look of the first photo until I saw the second shot, Now after seeing both of them all I know is I like it even more.........Have a great day!Keep the creativity coming!

Cathy Mendola said...

Thanks Cheryl! I like it both ways and still haven't decided which way to hang it...

MargaretR said...

My first impression was balloons and like the idea of hot air balloons

Terri Kahrs said...

Oooooo . . . I like it both ways too! It's actually successful from both vantage points! Either way, it's a striking piece, Cathy! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Cathy Mendola said...

Thanks Margaret. Everytime I look at it now, I think hot air balloons. So I may rethink the title?
Thanks Terri! So glad you're back home.
Have a great weekend everyone!

vintagepix said...

hmmmm...the first image seems to have water reflecting while the second is a sunset with a city or trees along the horizon... though as was mentioned above, what happens when you turn it on its side? :D Great colors - like that bright red over the purple

Cathy Mendola said...

Oh Carolyn! Thanks for throwing another idea at me. Didn't even think to look at it horizontally.
will go do that right now. Thanks!!!