Skip to main content

"Sometimes I sits & thinks,sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

That quote pretty much sums up my life for the past few days. I've given myself a bit of 'downtime' and haven't accomplished very much in the studio. Come to think of it, I haven't accomplished anywhere near the amount of work I had scheduled for myself the month of April.
I keep telling myself "it's OK". This isn't a race, no one is keeping score of the amount of art I produce. BUT... I'm really hard on myself and really don't like it when I don't get things accomplished!
The whole sinus problem/inner ear thing just threw me in a funk and I've not felt like doing a whole lot of anything. So I finally told myself that all those projects will still be waiting for me when I DO feel like doing something.
With that said, I will be taking off tomorrow morning for a much anticipated trip. I was hoping to be in a better frame of mind, but maybe this trip is just what I need right now.
I'm flying to VA for a quick visit with my brother and his family. I will also drop in on my aunt, who is 86, to visit with her and on my former boss that's almost like a father to me.
On Friday afternoon I'm meeting up with some girlfriends for a weekend at the lake! I have been friends with most of these girls since elementary school! A LONG TIME AGO...
We have talked about doing this for sooooo many years but have never done it. SO, this is the year to start our GIRL'S WEEKEND! I'm sorry to say that my oldest friend (we've been friends since we were FOUR YEARS OLD) is not able to make it. She had a family obligation, but my
other oldest friend (friends since we were 8) will be there. All together there will be 9 of us
and we are going to a lake house owned by one of the girl's parents. There has been months of emails and facebook chats in preparation. A very big weekend for us all! It's almost like we've turned back the clock and are anticipating one of the big slumber parties of our youth. We've even been posting pictures of those old parties on facebook to remind us of how much fun we used to have and how close we all were back then.
Some of us have remained close over the years and some of us only talk once in a while, so this weekend should be a great time of sharing all the things that have taken place in our lives since high school! On second thought we probably need much longer than one weekend for that,
but since we plan to make this a yearly event we will suffice with one weekend at a time.

The photo above is from one of my birthday/slumber parties. Yep, that's me holding the cake, wearing my older brother's football jersey. Three of the other 5 girls will be at the lake this weekend. ** Just realized the number on the jersey is the same as the year 1971!**
This photo is from a Christmas party in our hometown. We all happened to be 'home for the holidays' and got together that year. The 5 girls (including me-2nd from right) will be there!
You can tell it was the 80's-just look at the permed hair!
Another bright spot of the trip is that I get to see my dear 'art buddy', Sandy. She also lives in my hometown but I didn't grow up with her like with these other girls. She will be attending the
magnificent Art & Soul retreat in Hampton VA this weekend. I had originally planned to go there with her. It's such a wonderful art retreat with fabulous teachers but my other girl's needed to do this weekend at the lake. AS much as I wanted to go to Art & Soul with my art buddy Sandy
this weekend with the girls had to come first since we've been discussing for over 10 years.
So, when Sandy gets home from Art & Soul and I get in from the lake, I will drop in to see Sandy and play with her in her studio until time to leave for the airport on Monday!
I will be home late Monday night, so I plan to play catch up with everyone's blog on Tuesday.
Hope you all have a great weekend. I plan to!

Comments

ahhh old friends isn't life grand when we are able to spend time with them:)
I hope your trip is safe and you have a lovely enjoyable time.
XXXX
Becky
Terri Kahrs said…
Cathy, your post put a smile on my face from ear to ear! Nothing like girlfriends and a good laugh to make us feel better about life in general. Loved all of your "vintage" pics! OMG! Permed hair and shoulder pads. What were we thinking!!!!

Your art Muse will just have to wait until you return - the projects aren't going anywhere. And . . . after a much deserved, wonderful sojourn you'll return rested, refreshed and have a renewed outlook on life AND art! Have a wonderful time, My Friend! HUGE hugs & Blessings too! Terri xoxo
Janine said…
Have a wonderful weekend, enjoy every moment, and don´t bother.
You don´t have to be busy every day.
Relax
Hugs
Janine
Gaby Bee said…
Hope you have a fabulous time with your friends!
Enjoy every moment!
Greetings,
Gaby
Alberta and Ava said…
Let yourself off the hook, girl! We all need some downtime, some time to NOT produce, just Take care of yourself and rejuvenate. Art is not supposed to be an obligation. You just have a wonderful time on your reunion trip. Your photos brought back so many memories of my teenage years, Your friends must be be pretty special people for all of you to have remained in touch with each other all this time. It makes me so envious. Have fun!

Love,
Alberta
It's so funny how things come in threes or at least twos. The quote you opened with was just recently used by another artist friend of mine in one of her pieces and it was the first time I had heard or read it that I can remember. I loves it!

Hope you have a great weekend. You are doing something we have all wanted to and few us actually make the time to do it. Enjoy, enjoy!

marsha
Cathy Mendola said…
Thanks so much everyone for the lovely comments!
I had a blast! Will post some pics today.

Popular posts from this blog

Art Elements Component of the Month for April

Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…

January's Component of the Month-Leather Cabochons

Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month.  That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.

I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…