Thursday, April 2, 2009

Painting:The art of protecting flat surfaces from weather & exposing them to the critic. Ambrose Bierce


This is the most recent abstract. I started this one while the one in the previous post was drying. This is titled "Crimson Sunset". I was playing around with it and glued down some string to see if it would create an edge. As though it's a body of water at the bottom and the sun setting is reflecting??? Maybe it works.
Then below I reworked another from a few weeks before. Previously posted on 3-12-09
I wasn't satisfied with the sun previously.It just needed something more.
So here it is.


Of course my GOOD camera is still in the shop and my old Nikon just doesn't get the color quite right, even with editing. Hopefully it will return to me safe and sound and fully operational by next week.
Be creative~
cathy

7 comments:

TextileTraveler said...

Beautiful, Cathy. I love the colors in the 2nd one--that red is amazing.

Cathy Mendola said...

thanks Michelle! Yes that red really glows.
I used a combination of 2 reds and it looks almost like fire.

Karenann Young said...

Love your paintings!!! I was going to try my hand on some painting today in fact, though I'm not a painter at all, except for walls!!!

You commented on my blog and it is hard to answer from your comment. I actually love to organize my studio and house. I used to do that for people but no one wanted to throw anything away!!! I just think it is in my genes.

Terri Kahrs said...

"Crimson Sunset" is VERY striking, Cathy. I love the "warmth".

I like the second piece SO much better with the new additions! You've managed to make it more interesting. SUPER work!!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Cathy Mendola said...

Thanks Karenann, my studio only stays organized when I don't create. I love to have everything organized when I walk in there but the only way I seem to be able to create is in a swirl of chaos!
Thanks Terri! ARe you back home safe & sound?
I'll have to pop over to your site and see what's happening.

Alberta and Ava said...

OMG, Cathy! You've really let go here. This is gorgeous, those colors and the texture, wow! Ive thought about trying to paint with a string but not actually using one in my composition. You've inspred me. If this is what you can do just starting out painting abstracts, I can't wait to see what you do next.

Cathy Mendola said...

thanks Alberta! I was really just playing with this and then decided that it was pretty cool.
I really like the addition of the lavender paint! And the string. I may try some fabric next time!