Happy Earth Day!
I awoke to a beautiful sunny day! Something we haven't seen since last week.
I am feeling better and better-of course the warm sunshine could have something to do with it.
Anyway, thought I would post these projects I was able to finish in the last week.
The first one is something that I had done awhile back. The main portion was posted on my flickr over a year ago, but it always looked unfinished so I took another look at it and decided to add it to a background to give it more depth. The inspiration to update the piece came from looking at Judy Wilkenfeld's work. Especially her piece in the book 'Exhibition 36' by Susan Tuttle. (If you haven't seen the book, I suggest you go out and buy it right now! Great stuff in there.)
I think I like my piece much better now. The old book cover is attached to a canvas board that was painted with layers of paint and oil pastels. Then I applied a piece of tapestry fabric that I distressed a bit with fraying and ink. Under the book cover is a piece of
river birch bark that was peeling away from my tree and just begged to be incorporated into the piece since I already had an actual leaf attached to the old book cover. Of course the leaf is a maple leaf but the birch bark didn't care.
This piece is titled "Abigail Loves Autumn".
'Abigail' is the name I gave the little girl in the tintype photo in the center.
This next piece is titled "Love Birds". This piece was started several months ago
and I got very discouraged with it. I had printed out a pair of birds (not actually love birds,but the color that I wanted) on a transparency and I was planning to use the transparency over the background which is a canvas board layered with an old tissue paper pattern and then a layer of chiffon over that. I also added a poem titled "We Have Lived & Loved Together" on top of the tissue pattern but under the chiffon.
The plan was to put the transparency over the chiffon and under the cabinet card. Well, I had to secure it with gel medium in order to make it stay put. BUT I FORGOT TO SPRAY THE TRANSPARENCY FIRST with a fixative. SO, when I put the transparency on the gel medium it made a transfer of the print onto the chiffon. BUT when doing transfers
you really need to use a bit more gel medium than I used, plus I always have better luck with a fluid matte medium vs. gel mediums for transfers. It didn't transfer very well. In fact it looked as though I should just toss the whole thing in the trash. I have real hard time tossing things. I always try to fix it; make it work!
So I set it aside until I could figure out what to do. I was planning to print out another transparency and apply it on top after spraying with a fixative of course. BUT then after staring at it for a few days I decided to try and paint over the areas that didn't transfer well. So I painted... Still unsure... Let it sit a few more days...Painted some more... Used pastel pencils...Let it sit... Used charcoal pencil...
Then I gave in and finished the project. I added the huge letter 'L'
which I collaged old papers onto, inked and painted. Added the cabinet card wrapped in tulle, distressed. Drilled holes in the canvas board and added the ribbon and the stick to hang it from.
***Sorry to my friend Marsha--I know from reading a previous post of her's she doesn't like buttons**
Choose to live a creative life!
This month for the Art Element theme challenge Lesley chose 'tide pools'. SO esciting!! But of course I was excited about last mo...
Over at Art Elements Caroline created the most beautiful starry bead sets for August's Component of the Month Design Challenge. Below...
It was Laney's turn at hosting the Component of the Month design challenge over at Art Elements . Laney makes the cutest whimsical lam...
This month over at Art Elements it was Niky's turn to host the design challenge. She created these lovely coin clasps with a hare on th...