Skip to main content

"Humor is by far the most significant activity of the human brain." Edware De Bono

A good sense of humor is essential to everyone but I think it's especially good for artists to have one. Or at least for me-I definitely benefit from being able to laugh at myself and all the silly things I do sometimes.
I'm taking an online class for cloth/clay dolls and being a seamstress for many years I was a bit too over-confident about the pattern and the cutting and the sewing.AHEM!!! It really does pay to read ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS! Even if you 'think' you know how to do something. HAHAHA... So I'm laughing at myself for totally screwing up the very FIRST steps of the process. I will have to admit this to the group I'm in.
I thought it would be easier to admit it first on my personal blog before admitting to the teacher and all the other participants.
SO... with a little cursing then alot of laughter I READ or rather LISTENED to all the instructions(the class is done with videos of each step) I can't post each
step of the way on this blog but I will post my doll when she is finished.

Does anyone else do really stupid things while trying to create? Do you get in such a hurry, such a state of creative frenzy that you can't wait to see the outcome and you rush through a particular step or steps. I do that alot,usually I do that knowingly, trying to hurry the process along because I'm so excited about it.
With the dolls, I was so excited about getting to the sculpting part that I just tried to zoom through the 'easy' part.
Oh well, if you never make mistakes then you can't learn from them!

I would like to share with you the ATC's I received in the mail today.
I am in the network, Creative Souls (created by Izabella) and Stacy Alexander hosted the swap on that site for some of the members.
I received one from Stacy, Jo Archer, Wewer Keohane and Jess Taylor.
They are all lovely. I'm so excited, I love to get surprises in the mail.
I have included the blog, website or etsy of everyone but Jess Taylor.
Sorry for that as I have no other info on her at this time. When I can find out I'll post it.

Thanks to all those I received ATC's from.
Live creatively & humorously!
cathy

Comments

Stacy Alexander said…
Hi Cathy,

I'm so happy that *you're* happy! Wasn't this a fun swap?

xo
Stacy Alexander
Janine said…
Hi Cathy,
YES. That is so true.
I´m great in doing the second step before doing the first one.
And often enough I don´t learn from my mistaces.
I bought a book about oilpainting technics (I don´t know much about that).
I loved the pictures in the book so much that I startet painting without reading a lot. Not very clever isn´t it.
However,there are no mistaces just lucky accidents.
Greetings from Germany
Janine
Cathy Mendola said…
I'm am delighted Stacy! Thanks for the 'extra' that you made. All of them are little works of art.Thanks again for hosting.
That's a good way to look at it Janine.
No mistakes just lucky accidents. I went back to look at the first dolls I started before I looked at all the instructions and I can still use them, just have to treat them a bit differently. So it was a mistake I am turning into a happy accident!
Thanks to you both for commenting.
Terri Kahrs said…
When I read your post, I had to "chuckle"!!! Boy, Oh, Boy!!! Can I ever relate!!!! I think it's a right-brained "thing". I have a tendency to dive in, and then when something doesn't go right, I just MIGHT read the directions!!!! I totally agree with Janine's "lucky accidents" comment - mistakes tend to make our art (and our lives) a lot more interesting! Hugs Terri xoxoxo

Popular posts from this blog

August Design Challenge-Art Headpins!

This was definitely a challenge for me... I have just recently joined the Art Jewelry Elements group and thought I would sit this art headpin challenge out. Then after returning home from a quick trip to visit relatives I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in. 
Well...I didn't have time to order some of the lovely glass or ceramic headpins that some of my fellow AJE members create so I decide to just make my own.
So what do I make? How about polymer clay?  I haven't played with it in years, but what the heck, let's try it.  When I went to my stash the only colors I happen to have are black and purple. Hmmm-Ok, I can make it work.  Used a bit of Pearl-Ex powders on the clay before cooking and here they are.
 I thought it was too much Pearl Ex, so I sanded them. Then they were too blah, so I added dabs of gold ink here and there. (sorry I forgot to take photos after the sanding and dabbing of ink)
I attempted to go for something fun & funky and a little bit o…

AJE September Tree Challenge Reveal

The theme challenge of the month over at Art Jewelry Elements was 'trees'.  I was delighted that Caroline chose trees for the month of September. Trees happen to pop up quite often in my work.
I also happen to take a LOT of pictures of trees. They are a constant source of inspiration.
What's not to like about trees? They are beautiful during every season. In fact, I think during winter they might just be at their most beautiful.
If you read my last post, you saw that I ordered some fabulous jewelry elements from blueberribeads.
The first thing I made with trees in mind were these cute little earrings using the gingko leaf headpins. I paired them with Czech glass beads and some copper washers that I distressed and aged. Can't wait to wear these!!
                                                Trees and leaves and acorns-oh my!!

The next tree piece I created was the necklace (above left & below) using a gorgeous porcelain tree pendant made by Caroline over at bluebe…

Art Elements Component of the Month

I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group.  I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…