Thursday, March 5, 2009

"This is happiness;to be dissolved into something complete and great." Willa Cather


Love that quote! Found it on the bottom of a Celestial Seasonings tea box, back when they used to put quotes on them. Not that my art is great BUT I am truly HAPPY these days because I am dissolving myself into my artwork. It COMPLETES me. I become
so caught up in the act of making something that it's not about the end results as much as it is in the creating, or the journey of the process. I can't imagine not
being able to play around with my art supplies and my fabrics and beads.
I am truly blessed to be able to do this.
The above photo is the "Pair of Asian Pears" I finished last week. I was playing around with backgrounds and these were small 6" square, to I wasn't sure what to do with them. Then I cute out some pear shapes from an asian newspaper and glued them down, put washes of paint over them and VOILA! Asian pears! Of course I got carried away with the washes and shading and highlighting-so much so that you can barely make out the asian text beneath it all.
The next canvas is 12" square and Has layers of papers, paint, stamping and a transfer of the Eiffel Tower. The name is "They Met in Paris".

2 comments:

whymsicalmusings said...

Oh Cathy The "They met in Paris" is sooo divine! I love the colors the textures it really is fabulous!
Thanks for the congrats I will pass them on to Amy.
XXXX
Becky

Cathy Mendola aka pinkbirdgirl said...

Thanks so much! I'm beginning to think that these colors must be my trademark. I tend to reach for them more and more.