The past 2 days did not turn out as expected...My plan for the week was to come up with another item for the OWOH giveaway and post it.I also had grandiose plans of finishing my poppy painting along with photographing and posting more items to etsy. WELL... Yesterday started out pretty good then went crazy in a heartbeat! My daughter's horse injured herself so I spent a good deal of time on the phone with the barn, the vet, the trainer, etc, etc, etc. I finally had to get dressed and go to the barn and check her out myself. She's like one of my babies also. And as far as the stress level when your kid is sick, it's almost as bad when your animal baby is sick. I called the vet to come take a look at her and to make a LONG story a bit shorter...I think she's going to be OK, but that was pretty much my whole day Monday! NOT one piece of art except my little daily tag.Not one photograph either! So I thought today, Tuesday would be better, then I remembered I had a dentist appt. The plan was to re-do a crown that has been giving me trouble for a few years. I was informed that I would be there about and hour to hour and a half. So I'm thinking OK, I'll be home by 12:30-1:00 at the latest and I'll head to my studio. That gives me all afternoon. NOT... I was in the dentist chair for a solid 2 hours. OUCH! I don't remember the original crown taking so long, or having so much soreness. Anyway, by the time I got home, attempted to consume some soup with a mouth still partially numb and then take a handful of Advil, I finally spent some time on the computer answering emails and messages on facebook. I made it to my studio at 4:45 this afternoon. Did my daily tag and that was it.This collage I'm posting is one I finished on Sat. but was unsure whether or not I was finished. Sometimes you think you're done and then you take a second look and think maybe you need to add something else. So I left it alone for a few days so I could come back and look at it with fresh eyes. I decided it had enough going on, no need to add anything else. What do you think? Tomorrow's plan: Pottery class then my art studio. Unless of course something else gets in the way! TRY to live your life creatively...
Over at Art Elements Jen hosted the Component of the Month for April. She is a glass artist and made some amazing lampwork glass beads with texture. I just love the colors especially when the light hits it. She said she had the 'northern lights in mind' when she created these beauties.
She planted the 'northern lights' in my mind as well. Immediately I thought about freeform peyote and creating some sort of movement of light and color streaking through the sky. I have to confess I do a LOT of bead embroidery and some peyote bezeling BUT I don't do a lot of bead weaving. But I thought this was my chance to do some practicing!
I attempted to created lots of movement/texture with the beading. I left some open spaces and also created lots of waving/rippling with changing up the bead size periodically. AND I had no idea what I was doing. Just picking up beads and trying them out. I think it worked okay.
Once I got the slightly irregular piece beaded, I needed to figure …
I just love the team over at Art Elements!! Since joining I have been inspired to produce WAY more work than I would ever have created 'alone'. It really does take a village for me to get creative and work in my studio!
Every month there is a theme or a component of the month challenge at Art Elements.
Sugar skulls were the component of the month for October and was hosted by Jennifer Cameron. Jen creates beautiful lampwork glass beads and headpins. Fittingly, for October she created glass sugar skulls and distributed them amongst the group. I also received the wonderful antique key with the glass bead on the end:-)
As soon as my sugar skull arrived I knew exactly what I wanted to create. (haha)
I happened to be working on the caged trinkets tutorial for the AE blog when the skull came so I had wire weaving on my mind. I cut some pieces of wire, flattened the ends into paddle shapes and twined thinner wire around the padddles. I ended up with a flat woven piece that fanned ou…
Lindsay over at Art Elements, chose to create leather cabochons for the January component of the month. That's right, I said LEATHER cabochons! I knew that leather is moldable and malleable, but never considered creating a cabochon out it. Brilliant Lindsay & thank you.
As soon as Lindsay posted photos of these beauties they reminded me of aboriginal art. Probably because of the dots she painted on them but the colors and the fact that they were leather just made me think of aboriginal/tribal jewelry. As soon as my cabochon arrived I knew exactly what I would make-a talisman type necklace with a tribal/aboriginal feel to it.
I was so excited to get started that I completely forgot to photograph it BEFORE I beaded around it. So here it is after beading and before completing the necklace.
I pulled out various components and found objects that I could use as talismans to hang from the necklace. I chose a carved Camel bone pendant that I have had for years. It has dots carved in…