I was a slacker at the beginning of January, I didn't do any beading or stitching until well into the second week. I needed to recharge my batteries, clean my studio (which I haven't finished yet) and decide what I would like to focus on for this year as far as creativity goes.
Part of my plan this year is to NOT get too carried away with ideas so that I end up with a huge list of items that I start and never finish. I also wanted to learn more about thread painting and took a quick online course before deciding to start my first berry piece. The course was in Spanish but had subtitles and I figured it would be fine- more visual than verbal instruction. Haha, my mistake. I was so frustrated by the 3rd video I almost quit watching. The translation is horrible but I did learn a few new things so I guess it was almost worth the aggravation.
|Itty bitty bird in a wreath of pine and holly berries.|
I made a quick sketch of a little bird in a wreath early in January b/c I was still in a Christmas-y frame of mind. It was inspired by a Christmas card. I did learn a new way to transfer patterns onto the fabric and learned a bit more about breaking down a pattern into color sections and 'blending' colors as though you are painting.
Anyway, here is my little baby cardinal sitting in a wreath of pine and a few sprigs of holly with berries.
|my husband asked why the birds wings were unequal-I said I was basing it on the bird on the Christmas card & also maybe he was ruffling one wing while the other was caught up in the pine needles;-)|
I struggled with the size of the above piece. In my mind I thought I could stitch it much quicker if I did a small piece- this is a 6" hoop. The little bird is only about an inch tall not including his tail feathers. In hindsight, smaller does not mean quicker, it means much more difficult when you're trying to thread paint with 3 different colors of red thread and 2 colors of gold. I spent an inordinate amount of time removing stitches and redoing stitches and colors. And I won't even tell you how many times I re-stitched his little feet. So it was a learning curve. Using only 1 tiny strand of floss for the stitching was also a first for me and it tried my patience as well as strained my eyes! When it came time to stitch the pine wreath I did use 2 strands of floss, but reverted back to one strand for the holly berries & leaves.
I also tried something that I learned in the online course-wrapping the outer hoop with long strips of fabric to add a little interest and soften the wooden hoop frame. I like the ragged edges. I think I will try this in the future using either tea dyed or rust dyed fabrics.
|close up of berries made from wooden beads wrapped in thread.|
I wasn't planning on creating another berry piece until I came across some 3-d berries on Pinterest. (Reminder:stay off Pinterest when you already have a long list of stuff you want/need to do. I slipped down the rabbit hole of berry projects and berry inspiration.)
I decided to try making some 3-d berries using wooden beads. Another frustrating thing- b/c I used 6 strands of floss thinking it would cover the bead quicker-nope. All it did was fill the hole in the bead quicker which made it impossible to get the needle through the hole. So I resorted to weaving the threads through the floss that was already wrapped around the bead. It worked but took MUCH longer. Then I found some smaller wooden beads with larger holes so I created a few the correct way or rather a smoother finish for the berries. (although seeing them together-I do like the woven ones)
These are intended to be currant berries although the woven ones have so much texture they look like they should be strawberries. This was a simple but fun little piece.
So that's my berry projects for the month! I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has created this month.
Grab a beverage and take a hop through the blogs of all the participants.
Art Elements Team
- Our Guest Contributors